Why are shocks so expensive...? - Page 2 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > SVRider Motorcycling Forum
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums Garage FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

SVRider Motorcycling Forum Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

Old 02-19-2010, 10:23 PM   #11
pne

Bikes: 07 ktm superduke, 08 ktm 250 xc, 09 R1 (sold), 08 WR250X (sold), 03 SV650 (sold)
Miles Kms: 30000
Re: Why are shocks so expensive...?

Not true, looking at ohlins for my car, $2600 for 4 corners.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda...t/61-0015.html

That's 650 per corner without dyno graphs, external reserviors, length adjustment, etc. Racing coilovers on the other hand I have seen around $1000 per corner.
pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2010, 10:31 PM   #12
WolfNman

Bikes: 2005 titanium Z1000
Miles Kms: Always increasing
Send a message via AIM to WolfNman

55 shipped for my 06-07 zx10r. I'm happy
Old 02-19-2010, 11:39 PM   #13
tef

Bikes: 2002 SV650

I don't know much... but I tend to put modestly priced tires on my car. Not bottom-of-the-barrel, but neither high-end. OTOH, I try to put very good tires on the bike. A car tire losing grip or going flat is much more recoverable than a bike tire.

Shocks are the same story. We can get inexpensive aftermarket shocks. Or we can spend the bucks for high performance. The difference is much more noticeable on the bike.

So on the car I go for economy parts. On the bike I (and most others?) go for performance parts. Who here puts Cheng Shin tires on their SV?
tef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:03 AM   #14
BKK Jack

Bikes: 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, White!
Miles Kms: 1 @ delivery, it's a start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
I just live up the road from Rick. I bought his old lathe a month ago and stopped

by his shop today. He's good peeps. He did the boingers on my DR350 and they're dead on.

He custom built a rear shock for it and he set up the RM125 forks that I put on it.
For anyone looking for an intermediate upgrade. i.e. something potentially better and much easier - just bolt it on with cutting or relocating anything - than going to ebay, but not a fully adjustable Ohlins/Penske, etc. I would highly recommend them. Both Rick and Joyce were an absolute pleasure to work with, and the shock has been perfect.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #15
SDRider

Bikes: '12 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO, 2008 SV650 N (sold), 1979 Honda CB750 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
Good motorcycle shocks have an alarming amount of machined parts compared to average automotive shocks. Here are the makings of a Nitron "Sport" shock. It's not in the same class as a Penske or Ohlins, but still a good shock.
Not to mention the economies of scale. Motorcycle shocks are low volume for the most part. What percentage of the riding public bothers to even setup their suspension let alone change parts on it? I suspect it's probably less than 10% and then you have to figure all the different bikes you have to design and manufacture shocks for, different spring rates etc. It all adds up.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #16
BRShooter
Titanium Member

Bikes: '09 GSXR750 (Sold); '08 Super Dookie (Sold); '12 S1000RR (Lemon) '13 Touno V4R
Miles Kms: Can't keep up w/ this

Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post
Racing coilovers on the other hand I have seen around $1000 per corner.
That's still about 1/3 the cost of a pair of 43mm Ohlins superbike racing forks. $11,900 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OHLIN...#ht_891wt_1167

I too think its the economy of scale. Bike designs change every 2-3 years. The manufacturers always seem to change just enough to force the aftermarket guys to redesign their product. (For example, Ohlins lists a different shock for the 06-07 and 08-10 GSXR 600/750). The manufactures also don't produce that may bikes during those two/three years, and even less of the owners will spend the money to buy an aftermarket suspension. The theory is also supported anecdotally to some extent in that a second gen SV shock (which has been in production for about 7 years), is significantly less than a GSXR shock that was only in production for 2 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FezDaForeigner View Post
Please go jack yourself off into a nice stupor.
BRShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:53 PM   #17
pne

Bikes: 07 ktm superduke, 08 ktm 250 xc, 09 R1 (sold), 08 WR250X (sold), 03 SV650 (sold)
Miles Kms: 30000

keep in mind a fork is very different from a shock in that it has to withstand completely different forces, and those are also superbike forks which even in racing is the top end of the spectrum. You could easily spend $5000+ per corner on a car if you so desired too.
pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #18
friendlyfoe

Bikes: 08 SV650
Miles Kms: 10 000km's

ya sounds an awful lot like hes comparing koni yellows to ohlins/penske shocks. Not exactly the same class of equipment.
friendlyfoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement