Anyone aware of Louisiana's laws on LED's? :p - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Regional Forums > USA Rider Forum > South Central
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums Garage FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

South Central Region - TX, OK, AR, LA, MS, KS, MO

Old 12-27-2009, 03:16 AM   #1
Zenkodrai

Bikes: Sv650
Anyone aware of Louisiana's laws on LED's? :p

Moving to Louisiana sometime in '10, I've tried reading up on laws regarding whether or not I can use LED's as an under body kit.
Or any type of illumination in general.
So far the only law I've found is that the bulb itself cannot be visable.

As well as blue is illegal,
amber is for turn signals and emergency use,
white is for the front of vehicles and emergency use,
red is for the rear of vehicles and emergency use.

If anyone is more knowledgeable on this subject I would greatly appreciate any insight into the matter.
Zenkodrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2009, 05:16 AM   #2
a-train

Bikes: '
Miles Kms: Tons
Re: Anyone aware of Louisiana's laws on LED's? :p

it may be ok legally, but underbody lighting is tacky. save your money! unless, that is, you already have them on. then, they'd still be tacky.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:27 AM   #3
Zokambaa
Supporting Member

Bikes: 2006 SV650s and a 97 VZ800 Marauder
Miles Kms: 12,000 KM on the SV and counting...

That is pretty much standard anywhere... with backups being white and the license plate being white...those seem to vary from province to profince and state to state...

Here we can't have ground effect lighting... you may get away with it for a while but then you will get a stunting ticket...

anything that draws abnormal attention and could cause an accident could be grounds for a p!ssy cop to give you a stunting ticket...

Here there seems to be no difference if it is LED or bulb and I don't even think they have laws against showing bulbs... as long as they are of appropriate color and work.

Although... if they were yellow or orange.. you may be eable to get away with it citing them as marker lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenkodrai View Post
Moving to Louisiana sometime in '10, I've tried reading up on laws regarding whether or not I can use LED's as an under body kit.
Or any type of illumination in general.
So far the only law I've found is that the bulb itself cannot be visable.

As well as blue is illegal,
amber is for turn signals and emergency use,
white is for the front of vehicles and emergency use,
red is for the rear of vehicles and emergency use.

If anyone is more knowledgeable on this subject I would greatly appreciate any insight into the matter.
Zokambaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:56 AM   #4
timotheus

Bikes: 2002 suzuki sv650s, 1992 yamaha fzr 1000
Miles Kms: quite a few now

i dont understand the objections to extra lighting. to me, more light = easier to see, easier to see = safety
timotheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:02 AM   #5
Zokambaa
Supporting Member

Bikes: 2006 SV650s and a 97 VZ800 Marauder
Miles Kms: 12,000 KM on the SV and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timotheus View Post
i dont understand the objections to extra lighting. to me, more light = easier to see, easier to see = safety

I think the problem was when people were distracted by them going down the road... or with some of the red ones (which I have seen in person) almost looked like the underside of the engine was on fire with the glow..

but the cops say it is ok if you are parked somewhere and displaying it

you may want to check with the local cops and see what they say...

most of the time the extra lighting is "off road use only" so it could be a problem if your cops have a lot of ticket quotas to fill up.
Zokambaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
RedRaptor22

Bikes: Was a nakified 07 650, Now is 12 Xr650L
Miles Kms: 9700

You will be ticketed for improper equipment, usually $25 because it's a non-moving violation.

Whether it's underbody or inside of your vehicle your not supposed to have any sort of auxilery lighting thats colored in any way, the only exception is fog lights mounted in front and below your headlights. Even offroad lights such as KC roof mounted lights have to be covered while on the highway.

You would be fine in a parking lot or at bike nights but they are illegal on the street and cops will pull you over any chance they get for riding with them on.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #7
RedRaptor22

I'm just a liscensed vehicle inspector so you should check with the police if you want to know exactly what the law is, there are a few prowling on the local riders forum Rocketmadness.com , you should go ahead and join so you can get hooked up on some good group rides and figure out what the atmosphere is like for bikes down here. Where in LA are you planning to move to?
Old 12-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #8
Zenkodrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-train View Post
it may be ok legally, but underbody lighting is tacky. save your money! unless, that is, you already have them on. then, they'd still be tacky.
I was going for something like this |
v

Quote:
Originally Posted by timotheus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaptor22 View Post
I'm just a liscensed vehicle inspector so you should check with the police if you want to know exactly what the law is, there are a few prowling on the local riders forum Rocketmadness.com , you should go ahead and join so you can get hooked up on some good group rides and figure out what the atmosphere is like for bikes down here. Where in LA are you planning to move to?
Thank you for response,pretty much cleared up my suspicions.

I'll be moving down to the Lafayette area.
Also,Couldn't put your name as my referral for some reason, I guess you have a different handle over there?
Old 12-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
RedRaptor22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenkodrai View Post
I was going for something like this |
v

Thank you for response,pretty much cleared up my suspicions.

I'll be moving down to the Lafayette area.
Also,Couldn't put your name as my referral for some reason, I guess you have a different handle over there?
Yeah I'm Sv650R there, Laffy is pretty lax about mods like louder exhaust and stuff but the lights are a no-no anywhere. There are a few riders based in lafayette but there are'nt many times we get together with them because nobody feels like riding 2 hours to BR to start a ride and most of them start around 8am, we're just far too lazy for all that lol.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:19 PM   #10
Zenkodrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaptor22 View Post
Yeah I'm Sv650R there, Laffy is pretty lax about mods like louder exhaust and stuff but the lights are a no-no anywhere. There are a few riders based in lafayette but there are'nt many times we get together with them because nobody feels like riding 2 hours to BR to start a ride and most of them start around 8am, we're just far too lazy for all that lol.
It's looking like a good bunch of people! I've been lurking on and off all day.
I find it a bit strange that the New Members Introduction section is locked until you have 5 posts,lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement