Front wheel bearing replacement - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > 03 + SV650 Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums Garage FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

03 + SV650 Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 2003-up model SV650.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:38 PM   #1
OrionbladeSV

Bikes: '05 - SV650S
Miles Kms: 24.5k
Front wheel bearing replacement

Hey all... i have to replace the bearings in the front wheel on my '05 SVS and though i've been riding for 4 years i'm still learning the mechanical end. Anyone have any links/DIY advice for replacing the bearings in the front wheel?

I've gotten my bearings and seals but get conflicting info from a few different people on whether i have to get the bearings pressed or if i can manually pop em in. Also are there any special tools i need to pick up in order to replace them myself? If worse comes to worse i'll take it in and have it done by one of the shops out here but i'd like to learn/do it myself.

Any help would be appreciated.
OrionbladeSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2009, 10:49 PM   #2
acer66
Supporting Member

Bikes: 00 SV650
Miles Kms: not enough
Re: Front wheel bearing replacement

No special tools needed, tap them out from the other side with a long screwdriver etc..

Back in, use a hard rubber mallet.

Also going in, tap on the outer side of the bearing, not the inner part of the bearing where the axle goes in.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
Jay V
Supporting Member

Bikes: '06 SVn, '00 SVn project

On the install - put the new bearings in the freezer for a while before installing them. You could warm-up the wheel with a hairdryer also to make it even easier to slide them into place.

The big temp difference will help them slide in easily vs. having both at the same temp.

EDIT: Using a socket, as suggested below, is a good idea. If they don't drop-in really easily, using a threaded rod/nuts/washers (or socket) and "pressing" them in (as suggested by Rubber2burn) would be a better way than hammering.

Jay
Jay V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
donniej
Tech Forum Moderator

Bikes: 09 Xb9SX
Miles Kms: 5,000 miles

You can drive out the old bearings with anything sturdy that's long and straight. Screwdriver, socket extension or metal rod all work fine.

DO NOT BANG ANYWHERE ON THE NEW BEARINGS OTHER THAN THE OUTER RACE.

It's best to put a little grease on the outer race and tap them in with a mallet and a socket the approximate size of the outer race. Putting them in the freezer helps but isn't *usually* necessary.
donniej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
Rubber2burn

Bikes: 2002 SV650 2005 Hayabusa LE
Miles Kms: as many as I can put on it

When I replace wheel bearings I never beat them in the when I have a piece of all thread some various size washers and some nuts that I use to press in the new bearings so that I can avoid any damage to the bearings. Also before I press them in I put them in the freezer as well to make them go in allot easier.
Rubber2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement