Wheel Bearing Removal - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV Modifications and General Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums Garage FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

SV Modifications and General Maintenance General information about modding and servicing your SV.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
NINJAdoc

Bikes: 07 SV1K, 07 SV650, 990SMR, DRZ
Wheel Bearing Removal

Any ideas for pulling front or rear wheel bearings without the Suzuki tool? I'm replacing the rear bearings on an SV1K. Thought I could gently tap out from the opposite side by using the middle spacer, but can't get enough of a lip showing for my punch or drift pin. What's everybody else do?
NINJAdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
Cider

Bikes: '02 naked
Miles Kms: 8000
Re: Wheel Bearing Removal

I bought a bearing puller from Harbor Freight and used a heat gun to loosen things up a bit. They come out pretty easy that way, but every time you pull them, you risk damaging them.
Cider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
wacky_woodchuck
Supporting Member

Bikes: Hawkman Rocket Cycle
Send a message via ICQ to wacky_woodchuck Send a message via Yahoo to wacky_woodchuck

Harbor Freight bearing removal kit is very nice. It's $40 regular price, sometimes they let is go down to $30. Works great for the one or two times you are going to use it.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
NINJAdoc

this one?

View more Pittsburgh items
Blind Hole Bearing Puller

Designed especially for pilot bearings and other jobs that require an internal puller.

3 lb. slide hammer with T-handle for secure grip
Chrome-plated shaft for smooth operation
Four collets: 3/8" to 1/2", 9/16" to 11/16", 5/8" to 1", 1" to 1-1/4"
Blow mold case

Weight: 7.6 lbs.

ITEM 95987-2VGA

$39.99 Email link to a friend
Old 07-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
RichDesmond

Bikes: Ducati 848, GS1000S, SV650, 650 V-Strom, DR-Z400S, RZ350

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAdoc View Post
Any ideas for pulling front or rear wheel bearings without the Suzuki tool? I'm replacing the rear bearings on an SV1K. Thought I could gently tap out from the opposite side by using the middle spacer, but can't get enough of a lip showing for my punch or drift pin. What's everybody else do?
Never had a problem using a punch and hammer. Don't hit the spacer, run the punch down through the spacer and hit the inner race on the bearing directly. Replace with new bearings.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
NINJAdoc

yeah - I was thinking after looking at a couple other forums that I might be able to actually hit the backside of the bearing, rather than the spacer. I didn't think about moving the spacer out of the way so I can get my drift pin onto the backside of the bearing I'm trying to tap out. I'll give it a shot 2nite.

Thanks!

Nd
Old 07-27-2009, 06:17 PM   #7
wacky_woodchuck
Supporting Member

Bikes: Hawkman Rocket Cycle
Send a message via ICQ to wacky_woodchuck Send a message via Yahoo to wacky_woodchuck

You posted the right bearing puller. Works much better than a drift and hammer. Though even using the bearing puller, you will still need to replace the bearings.

I did my rear wheel bearings both ways. The drift and punch took quite some time (maybe 25 minutes to get out). The bearing puller took maybe 3 minutes, with no heat.

The tool was worth the $30 (I got it on sale). Also, in the latest Cycle World, Harbor Freight has a 20% off one item coupon.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
imdying

Bikes: SV1000R

Give it the learn with a punch and hammer. Take you about 15 minutes on your first wheel, and about 2 minutes for every other. Give the spacer a nudge, then bash bash bash The opposite side, well, you won't need any instructions on that one!

Never reuse the bearings... a quality double sealed bearing is about NZD$6, so I'm guessing that you're looking at about USD$2 each in The States
Old 07-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
NINJAdoc

Easy as pie - tapped 'em out with the hammer and drift (no heat needed), last nite I was trying to knock 'em out by hitting the opposite end of the spacer and kept loosing the edge. If I can find that HF coupon I may go ahead and pick up a bearing puller, "just in case." Got the bearings for $9 each, may have to go to Suzuki for the seal though.

Appreciate everyones' suggestions and advice!

Nd
Old 07-27-2009, 09:33 PM   #10
inuyasha

I was thinking of doing this...where can I pick up the correct bearings for my 1st gen?
Advertisement