99 sv650 advice to get her started again - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV650 Gen1 (99-02) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

SV650 Gen1 (99-02) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 1999-2002 model SV650.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:04 PM   #1
OyyO
Site Supporter

Bikes: 99 sv650
Miles Kms: 3500
99 sv650 advice to get her started again

Hello to all! Iím going to thank you guys in advance for your input and help.
I have a 99 sv650, 10117 miles, that has been sitting in the garage for 3 years now. I did remove the gas, and battery was removed during this neglection period. Iím wanting to get it up and running again.
This is what I did today:
-Changed the oil
-new oil filter
-Yuasa Battery
So, happy to see the lights were working again with that fresh battery. However, I did put enough gas into the tank to where the gas light wasnít on. Attempting to start her up. She cranks, but doesnít turn. it feels like it wants to start but nothing happens.
What are some advices for my next step and/or thing I need to check to make sure itís good to ride.
I did order some new spark plugs, will drain the current coolant and replace that
Thanks again for your input!
OyyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 05:20 PM   #2
J_Copeland

Bikes: 02 Suzuki GSXR
Miles Kms: 4100
Re: 99 sv650 advice to get her started again

Clean your carbs and make sure the jets and all the passages are clean.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
J_Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:38 AM   #3
Superdog

Bikes: 2001 SV650S
Miles Kms: 5500

Along with the advice above, make sure fuel is flowing from the "pump". A little varnish can make them stick and not allow fuel to flow.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Superdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2017, 06:52 AM   #4
RecoilRob

Bikes: '07 SV1000S
Miles Kms: 41688

If the carbs were dry (likely), the fuel pump works only when it's getting vacuum pulses from the engine and it might take some bit of time for fuel to get to the carbs. Did you drain the bowls when you deactivated the bike? If not...the fuel that was in there has dried up and it can leave some really nasty gummy varnish like crap that WILL clog the pilot jets so it wouldn't be wasted time pulling them apart and giving a good bath in carb cleaner.

If you carefully squirt a little fuel into each carb fuel line to fill the bowl it 'should' fire up if the carbs aren't gummed up. Or...alternately you could just drip a few drops into each carb inlet which will be enough for it to fire up briefly and this increased vacuum (from running rather than just cranking) could be enough to work the pump faster and get it delivering fuel to the carbs. I'd do that rather than just continuing to crank as that's hard on the battery and starter. Good that you're getting it running again!
RecoilRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:48 AM   #5
Straticus

All of the above and take the Air-filter cover off and spray some Carb/Brake cleaner or even WD40 into the Carbs/Fuel-Air intake.It's highly volatile and acts as an,"Engine Starter" fluid.
Straticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:16 AM   #6
OyyO
Site Supporter

Bikes: 99 sv650
Miles Kms: 3500
Really appreciate the input, will be working on the bike later this evening. Let you guys know the progress
OyyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement