Gonna 'restore' my 06 650s. I'm gonna need help :) - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 2003-2015 model SV650.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:52 PM   #1
Kiyyou
Supporting Member

Bikes: '06 SV650s
Gonna 'restore' my 06 650s. I'm gonna need help :)

Hey everyone!
Bought a 2006 SV650s in july. Didn't have the time or knowledge to get it inspected first. Took it to a dealer the other day and got a huge liost of issues. normally I would sell it but this is my first bike and I want to fix her up. SO i'm gonna be updating this thread a lot and asking lots of questions. Anyways here's the (short) list of things broken:
  1. fork seals are broken
  2. fuel tank is rusted out
  3. shocks need to be replaced
  4. rear brake rotors are worn
  5. Needs new chain/sprockets
  6. needs new front/rear tires
  7. speedometer is broken
So my first thing to do is remove the tank!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After removing the tank I broke one rubber hose (it was cracked already) and disconnected another. Anyone know where I can get a replacement and where I connect it to? I'm draining the tank to wash with white vinegar tomorrow. How long should that take? thanks.
gonna post pics in a sec
Kiyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2015, 07:06 PM   #2
Kiyyou
Supporting Member

Re: Gonna 'restore' my 06 650s. I'm gonna need help :)

Hmm it seems I can post links or images. Or edit my posts. Well then.
It's the two rubber hoses that connect to the bottom of the gas tank. one ripped and the y shaped hoses came with the tank. Can anyone help me figure out where it goes? Thanks!
Old 12-14-2015, 09:38 PM   #3
gjscott

Bikes: 02 SV650, 04 SV650S, 03 ZX636, 78 GS750.
Miles Kms: 8000 miles, 11,000 Miles, 10000 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyyou View Post
Hey everyone!
Bought a 2006 SV650s in july. Didn't have the time or knowledge to get it inspected first. Took it to a dealer the other day and got a huge liost of issues. normally I would sell it but this is my first bike and I want to fix her up. SO i'm gonna be updating this thread a lot and asking lots of questions. Anyways here's the (short) list of things broken:
  1. fork seals are broken
  2. fuel tank is rusted out
  3. shocks need to be replaced
  4. rear brake rotors are worn
  5. Needs new chain/sprockets
  6. needs new front/rear tires
  7. speedometer is broken
So my first thing to do is remove the tank!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After removing the tank I broke one rubber hose (it was cracked already) and disconnected another. Anyone know where I can get a replacement and where I connect it to? I'm draining the tank to wash with white vinegar tomorrow. How long should that take? thanks.
gonna post pics in a sec
That doesn't sound too bad to me. It's mostly the consumables and serviceable parts that need attention.

Don't bother replacing the rear shock with an SV part, replace it with a Kawasaki ZX14 shock. They're cheap and available on eBay.
For the front fork get an emulator kit to upgrade it.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:56 PM   #4
Kiyyou
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjscott View Post
That doesn't sound too bad to me. It's mostly the consumables and serviceable parts that need attention.

Don't bother replacing the rear shock with an SV part, replace it with a Kawasaki ZX14 shock. They're cheap and available on eBay.
For the front fork get an emulator kit to upgrade it.
I don't think it will be too bad. But I've never worked on bikes before so i'll need help.
What year for the shock? Do i have to cut anything? I'd rather not
What difference does an emulator kit do? Someone suggested racetech gold emulators.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:19 AM   #5
old phart phred
Supporting Member

Bikes: sv650n
Miles Kms: 28000

Just cause the dealership said it need replaced doesn't mean it's true. BTW was the service managers name Ben Dover. How many miles? Rear brake rotor needs replacing Pleeease!!! . Should be able to get a used one here for 20 bucks shipped that's good for another 80,000 miles.
old phart phred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:37 AM   #6
Kiyyou
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old phart phred View Post
Just cause the dealership said it need replaced doesn't mean it's true. BTW was the service managers name Ben Dover. How many miles? Rear brake rotor needs replacing Pleeease!!! . Should be able to get a used one here for 20 bucks shipped that's good for another 80,000 miles.
I figured that much would be true. They quoted me $4,000 just to get it running again.
I found one on ebay.
The title says 22,000 but the cluster says 5,000. So somewhere aroung 28,000
Old 12-15-2015, 04:24 AM   #7
StraydogEOD

Bikes: 2009 KTM690SMC//2010 YZ450F MX/SM//2013 Multistrada 1200//2006 CRF100F Mini RR/FlatTracker
Miles Kms: Lost track a while ago

Quote:
gonna post pics in a sec
I get my consumables/odds and ends in OEM parts from bikebandit. Their microfiche makes it easy to find the parts.

http://www.bikebandit.com/
Old 12-15-2015, 08:01 AM   #8
Jay V
Supporting Member

Bikes: '06 SVn, '00 SVn project

Quote:
I figured that much would be true. They quoted me $4,000 just to get it running again.
I found one on ebay.
The title says 22,000 but the cluster says 5,000. So somewhere aroung 28,000
That's a good one! You could have all the work done, and the engine rebuilt, for that price!

They are really trying to stick it to you if they said that's what it would take to get it running.

It's time to buy some tools and a service manual and learn to do what needs to be done yourself. I wouldn't ever go back to that dealer (at least the service dept) again.

I hope you got it real cheap.
Jay V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:11 AM   #9
locoblanco

Bikes: 07 SV650n
Miles Kms: @85000mi

The two broken hoses you refer to are vent/overflow hoses. Any hose of the correct size will do. The fuel hose, with its special connectors, might need to be replaced due to age. For that one go with genuine Suzuki parts.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:11 AM   #10
Chango
Site Supporter

Bikes: 03 SV 650
Miles Kms: 90,000
Your list really isn't bad at all. It just sounds like a bike that was left outside and never cleaned/maintained. The work needed is a bit time consuming, but not actually very difficult.

If you decide to go with emulators in the forks, let me know. I've got a set I decided not to use still in the packaging. They are the cheap eBay specials, not the Racetech brand, but they do the same thing.
Chango is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement