Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GSXR shock swap - Why, How to, common issues, etc

182K views 417 replies 160 participants last post by  88blackzc02yellowsv 
#1 ·
This has been discussed before but it?s winter, so it?s a good time to post the topic again.

The information is already available in this site, I just put it together plus a couple of new pictures from my own shock swap. Thank you all who posted pics and comments and questions.

All comments and corrections are welcome.

Marcos

#52 ·
I just got my 04 Sv650s today. I haven't had much time to read all the threads but I read this whole thread. I drove it home and definetly need a suspension mod. What will work best, the +00 GSXR shock? I weigh 165 in full gear and mainly do street riding. Thanks for the help in advance.

#53 ·
Bottom of shock touching the swingarm.....

Did anyone else have an issue with the bottom spring collar touching the swingarm when the suspension was unloaded?

Mine touches when I am not on the bike...no problem when I am sitting on it but I wonder if it is touching during suspension travel on a ride?

I guess I should specifiy...it is a '99 GSX-R 600 shock...

#54 ·
derxz said:
I just got my 04 Sv650s today. I haven't had much time to read all the threads but I read this whole thread. I drove it home and definetly need a suspension mod. What will work best, the +00 GSXR shock? I weigh 165 in full gear and mainly do street riding. Thanks for the help in advance.
if you are only wanting to spend $75 or less then a 04 gsxr1000 shock is probably the one you want...

if you have about $350 to spend, checkout svraceshop for their rebuilt gsxr shocks that are properly valved and sprung for your purposes.

if you have $850 to spend then go with penske, elka, or ohlins

if you have more than that... then buy us both a penske triple adjustable :)

#55 ·
Re: Bottom of shock touching the swingarm.....

Zedex7R said:
Did anyone else have an issue with the bottom spring collar touching the swingarm when the suspension was unloaded?

Mine touches when I am not on the bike...no problem when I am sitting on it but I wonder if it is touching during suspension travel on a ride?
It never caused a problem for me while I had my gsxr1000 shock

#56 ·
ahaha josh, thanks for the advice. I'll probablly go with the gsxr shock, but may go with the rebuilt you mention. Thanks for helping me. This hobby is expensive, just dropped $900 on a* gear for the track. Too bad I cant afford taking her to the track until July now.

#58 ·
I am 170 lb with gear and thinking and reading this thread it seems o4 gxsr1000 is ideal however few questions.Anything I need to change?Different dogbones etc. and few people here had it rub off on the swingarm.Is it common?Thank you

#59 ·
That shock will work fine for you with a stock spring.

I recommend the SVRaceShop 100mm dog bones, and go with the basic shock up grade.

It will likely touch the swingarm at full extension - it is common on SV's, don't worry it doesn't hurt anything, the spring will move a bit on the collars so it isn't damaging.

#60 ·
DucOwner said:
That shock will work fine for you with a stock spring.

I recommend the SVRaceShop 100mm dog bones, and go with the basic shock up grade.

It will likely touch the swingarm at full extension - it is common on SV's, don't worry it doesn't hurt anything, the spring will move a bit on the collars so it isn't damaging.
Thanks for the reply.Very helpful.

G
#61 ·
For what it's worth, if you are interested in the Kawasaki shocks, make sure you know what year it is. The 2003 6rr shock is softer than the 2004. But with the 636, it's the opposite --- the 2004 is softer than the 2003. Most people should try and get the softer one, because they had a lot of complaints about being too stiff. By the way I don't know the spring rate for each year, but I know for a fact that the 04 6rr shock spring is 547 lb

#62 ·
The springs are not significantly softer. We have noticed the damping shim stacks are different in the -0024, -0059, and -1831 model shocks <636 & 6RR> but the springs are 9.75kg or 9.8kg about 540 & 550 in pounds. Occassionally they have a stripe on them indicating that it was tested. A few have even had the tested kg measurement scribed into the spring before painting. It is possible they used some 9.7kg or a batch was soft, but without the Japanese spec sheet it would be hard to say what the reason is. It is also possible that there is another part number that was available in Japan or Asia with a softer spring. Some of those could be found on US/Euro spec 636/6RR's

#63 ·
Can someone tell me the size of the bolt and which kind on lower fork mount on gxer shock?I read somewhere special term for this bolt but I can't find anything on search engine which gives me tons of useless posts.

#65 ·
Arvan said:
Can someone tell me the size of the bolt and which kind on lower fork mount on gxer shock?I read somewhere special term for this bolt but I can't find anything on search engine which gives me tons of useless posts.
You dont have to buy a special bolt. The GSXR lower bolt works. If the bolt is too long just grind it down a little to fit.

If you can't find one call the SV Race Shop and we'll fix you up with a nice YellowZinc Chromated coated one for a few bucks shipped.

#66 ·
ok so i just got a 2005 gixxer 600 rear shock and have read avids page (awesome work, it will be the guide for my install) and numerous posts on this board, but is there anything in particular i should look out for? whats this that people are saying about the shock rubbin the dog bones? do i need different ones before i do this install? i want it to come out right and not ghetto rigged

#68 ·
Tyler J said:
Ok i have an 05 svs, i weigh 200lbs what should would be best/easiest i tried searching but didnt find anything definitive. Wouldnt mind riding with passengers sometimes and alot of street riding, sometimes a little aggressive.
You'd probably want at least a 500# spring at 200 lbs. Length of the stock shock is 330mm. A late-model GSX-R shock with a stiffer spring added would be good choice. The ZX-10/636 shocks have a 540# spring but are quite a bit longer (338-340mm).

G
#72 ·
jarelj said:
You'd probably want at least a 500# spring at 200 lbs. Length of the stock shock is 330mm. A late-model GSX-R shock with a stiffer spring added would be good choice. The ZX-10/636 shocks have a 540# spring but are quite a bit longer (338-340mm).
If the Kawi shocks are longer than the Gixxer shocks, then why doesn't my bike w/ZX10 shock sit as high as people with Gixxer shocks? As an example, a friend of mine has a 97 Gixxer shock that was resprung for him, he weighs 150-160 like me, and both our bikes have correct sag, but his rear end is nice and tall while mine is too low for my tastes.

#73 ·
The SRAD GSX-R shocks are much longer, the newer ones are shorter than the first gen stock shocks. The Kawi shocks are a smidge longer than stock'99-'02 I believe.

#74 ·
man...all of this shock talk is making my head spin! I want to do a swap but not sure how much work will need to go into it. Im about 160lbs and have a 04 SV650s. I mainly do basic street riding, nothing too aggesive. Which shock would be best for me? After reading all these posts im guessing a 01-02 or 03-04 GSXR1000 would be best...but what is the difference b/w these years really? Also, would i have to revalve the shock? and one last question....would i be using the GSXR spring or some other spring?

Thanks a bunch!!

#75 ·
Dillweed said:
If the Kawi shocks are longer than the Gixxer shocks, then why doesn't my bike w/ZX10 shock sit as high as people with Gixxer shocks? As an example, a friend of mine has a 97 Gixxer shock that was resprung for him, he weighs 150-160 like me, and both our bikes have correct sag, but his rear end is nice and tall while mine is too low for my tastes.
Must be 1st gen SV? On the 2nd gen SV the ZX10 shock is 8mm longer than the stock shock. It's 1mm longer than the 1st gen SV shock. Like NOSquid said, if your buddy has an SRAD shock, it's another 7-8mm longer. If you want to keep the shock you have but raise the ride height, you can just swap on a set of our shorter dogbones:
http://www.motospecialties.com/MSIn...ype=Products by Bike&Type1=Suzuki&Type2=SV650

#76 ·
MDG said:
man...all of this shock talk is making my head spin! I want to do a swap but not sure how much work will need to go into it. Im about 160lbs and have a 04 SV650s. I mainly do basic street riding, nothing too aggesive. Which shock would be best for me? After reading all these posts im guessing a 01-02 or 03-04 GSXR1000 would be best...but what is the difference b/w these years really? Also, would i have to revalve the shock? and one last question....would i be using the GSXR spring or some other spring?

Thanks a bunch!!
The choice depends upon what you're looking to get out of the shock upgrade. The work involved is not much as long as you have the proper tools, a buddy, and a couple hours of time. Floor jack, spooled rear stand and a good set of wrenches are a big plus. In addition, you'll need to modify the battery box to clear the reservoir on the shock. The main difference between the two models of GSX-R1000 shocks you mentioned is the spring rate, the latter has a 480# spring while the former has 430#. At your weight, if it were me I'd want the heavier spring or it's going to feel sloppy. 480# would be pretty good. The damping is not correct for any of the these shocks, which is why we revalve them specifically for the SV. Not that you can't put it on and be happy with it without revalving, but don't expect it to be the ultimate. I posted an FAQ about this on our site a while back:
http://www.svraceshop.com/SVShockUpgradeFAQ.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.