Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Tire size?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  WeezerKDI 
#1 ·
Do 120/60ZR17 size tires fit on the front wheel? I currently have 120/70ZR17 on the front and I don't know the difference. Thanks!

#2 ·
120/60 is stock size

120/70 fits fine (I have one on right now ;))

120/70 is slightly taller and will put slightly more rubber on the road at full lean. You get increased stability at lean at the expense of a touch of quickness in turn in when compared to the 120/60. Also with the 120/70, your speedo is pretty much right on, while with the 120/60, the speedo is ~10% high (you're not going as fast as the speedo indicates).

A brief search will yield an additional slew of info on the pros and cons of the two sizes. HTH.

#4 ·
WeezerKDI said:
Ok, if you raise the fork tubes in the triples lowering the front end and run a 70 series tire, what would the results be? It would be better in the corners right?

Weezer,

Yes. That is exactly what I did to combat some of the slowness in turn in with the 70. IMO, it will never be as quicksilver smooth as the 60, but damn close. And you retain the extra rubber and enhanced stability at full lean, and get the speedo accuracy to boot.

IIRC, the difference in height between the tires was in the 15-20 mm range; halve that and a 7-10 mm drop in front ride height should get you back to square one in terms of front/back ride height and weight distribution. Test ride and modify to suit your suspension, weight, and riding style...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.