Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

NYST track day update.

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Domiken 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

For those that haven't heard, NYST has been having a little bit of an issue with the neighbors. There was a recent hearing where a judge ruled that the track had to stick with their original intended purpose..... and unfortunately that's not really a good thing.

See, what the track originally proposed to the town was that they would have no more than 30 bucks (plus staff) at the track on a given day. There was also a bit about an engine size limit, but it's still not clear how much of a problem that will be.

The bad news is this isn't a good thing for track day providers.

The GOOD news is this looks like it could be a VERY good thing (short term) for those that are looking to attend a Tony's Track Day, as there will be likely be NO change in price to you, but you'll very likely end up with a LOT more track time!

More good news is that there will be 8 events prior to ours so we'll have a clearer picture of how the track will be operating and what restrictions they'll be enforcing.

The BAD news for customers is that our dates are going to fill up SUPER QUICK! So if you haven't registered yet, you sure as hell better get on that!!!

The track is still lobbying to be able to run normally this year, and if that happens - great... we'll open more spots. If not, we'll do the 30 rider thing this year and then see what happens for 2014.

If you have any questions whatsoever, feel free to fire away and I'll do my best to get an accurate answer.

See less See more
#2 ·
It seems they brought this on themselves by misrepresenting themselves in the original application then the planning board switching it behind closed doors. The good news is that they seem to still have the support of the town government so if they follow the procedural rules on an application to modify the approval they should get the OK, and the opponents would have nothing to sue about.

But in the meantime they must be losing a huge amount of money running 8-bike groups and I wonder how long they can keep the doors open like this.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#7 ·
Yup.

Good news is it looks like the town govt is in favor of the track, which means the neighbors, the owners themselves and bureaucracy are likely the only things standing in the way of its success. Once the track writes up a new proposal of use or whatever it is they have to do, hopefully it'll get through and they'll be good to go.

But that's in a perfect world... I'm sure it'll take some time.

#8 ·
So is any one planning to be at any of the May events? From the sounds it means you will get to be on the track with very few other people at the same time, lots of clean air to ride and practice!

#9 ·
Jimmy22 said:
It seems they brought this on themselves by misrepresenting themselves in the original application then the planning board switching it behind closed doors
This

I feel like one of the sad aspects of this is that the neighbors only problem is noise. If people didn't run absurdly loud bikes it would be one less hurdle for tracks to overcome to get approved/built. I cut a baffle out of my stock exhaust and it's still inaudible next to a lot of bikes at any given track day.

There are youtube videos by pissed neighbors near njmp of the noise from the track, and while I wish there was a track every 50 miles in this country, I kind of feel for these people that don't know the first thing about motorcycles and just want to live in a quiet neighborhood. Same reason a lot of track riders roll their eyes at stupidly loud cruisers on public roads.

Anyways, guess I'm not really adding anything. Hope TTD's days go well and the track is able to get back to full capacity

#10 ·
This

There are youtube videos by pissed neighbors near njmp of the noise from the track, and while I wish there was a track every 50 miles in this country, I kind of feel for these people that don't know the first thing about motorcycles and just want to live in a quiet neighborhood.
I hate stupidly loud bikes as much as anyone, but many tracks, including both NJMP and NYST, were formerly airfields. So this was a noisy place long before the bikes showed up, and probably long before the neighbors moved in. They paid less for their property because the airplane noise made it less desirable, then they felt like they won the lottery when the airport activity wound down. Now it's noisy again and they're not happy.

Some tracks have noise restrictions so open pipes, etc., aren't permitted. I'd be OK with that at NYST if it means getting rid of the 250-cc limitation and 25 bikes a day that the last court ruling imposed.

#11 ·
The "airfield" that is/was NYST was merely a small private strip... This is purely a guess, but I can't imagine more than 3-5 airplanes a week going in/out of there.

The airport at NJMP on the otherhand is much larger... but still not much traffic. An occasional jet... a few small private prop jobbies a day, maybe. Hellocopter or two. Not much more than that.

#12 ·
Oh guys come on, motorsports and noise? Goes hand in hand, even the factory exhausts are loud enough.

I went to NJMP this weekend with Absolute, showed up at 10pm to camp, guess what was going on? A car endurance race from 12pm to 12am!!! I was trying to sleep by the time the winners were announced and engines went off (from shuffling cars around paddock) it was 1:30am! I thought bikes were loud, these things were suuuuper loud!

Airport next to NJMP had chinook helicopters flying around, now those things are loud (and badass!).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.