Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Motorcycle test rider- my new job!

6K views 26 replies 25 participants last post by  asp125 
#1 ·
I thought you guys might want to hear about my new job. I got hired on as a motorcycle test rider for Harley Davidson at the GM Desert Proving Grounds in Chandler Arizona. Seen the ad on the internet, went and had a interview and written test about general motorcycle knowledge and they called me back, and sent me to the proving grounds to do a skills test. I did 11 maneuvers each on a 1200 sportster and a Buell XB9S and they hired me. Went and took a drug test and a physical and I start on Tuesday. They asked me for my sizes for a warm weather cool-max jacket, a cold weather jacket, a helmet and full leathers, all supplied to me. It sounds too good to be true, but I'm putting in my two weeks notice to my current employer on Monday ( Im a journeyman electrician ) and if it was'nt for my wife making such good money, I would'nt be able to do it. I'm taking a considerable pay cut to do it, but this sounds like a dream job and I cant pass it up. Im pretty much testing prototypes of all Harley-Davidson and Buell. During my skills test, which took 3 hours in the heat, I seen the '07-'08 corvette and Silverado. It was cool as hell. The vehicles all have black and white checker board pattern in a swirly design on them. They must have been doing the 1/4 mile or top speed on the vette when I was there because all I would hear is the tires screeching and the vette going thru the gears till I could'nt see it anymore. Anyway, I'll keep ya posted on how the job goes, sorry no pictures, I had to sign a stack of confidentiality agreements when I got hired.

See less See more
#14 ·
That truly sounds awesome! ;D It's pretty rare (in my experience) to be able to do what you love and get paid for it. I for one would love to hear updates, of course, if you can based on the NDA's.

#15 ·
I will be representing the SV at the proving grounds parking lot, and I wont ever trade it it in for a Harley or a Buell. The Buell is nice,.....but get rid of the powerplant! The employee motorcycle parking seemed to to be 90% japanese, and judging by the oil on the ground, not to many hogs show their drippin noses.

#17 ·
Damn.....I hope I find something like that when I'm ready to kick back and stop this crazy computer consultant job.....you are sooooo lucky! Enjoy my friend! 8) 8) 8) 8)

#22 ·
Colin said:
...My jobs way cooler......I get to sit at a desk all day and stare at a computer screen while listening to everyone around me B**** and complain all day :'(.......
Yes, I love my cubicle. Before I got this job I used to work w/ a guy at REI (outdoor sporting goods store). Super cool kid/motorhead that was into bikes and porsches and he also worked at some kind of porsche machine/body shop or something. Anyway, I went back to REI to see what he was up to and found out that he got a job w/....ummmm......Ferrari in the machine/fabrication shop traveling w/ the race team! Bastard!

We will all live vicariously through you azrider ;D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.