Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

I need a Cheap steering damper

15K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  Renderw 
#1 ·
hey guys-my first race is it Tally the 19

I'm trying to get my bike ready- whats a cheap solution for this?

I saw a while back where someone posted something about taking a stock GSXR damper and buying a 41mm clamp for it-anyone know hwta i'm talking about or where i can find it?

Is there some cheap universal one somewhere?
btw-this is for WERA

#2 ·
i have a sprint off my old gsxr mounted on my SV. its too complicated to try and explain how i fab'd it up. come see me at tally on the 19th and look at it if you haven't figured it out.

#24 ·
I have a 2007 Suzuki SV 650.

I've noticed that on the highway, if I suddenly turn the handle bars a bit, there is a tendency for them to oscillate. It does die down, but I have the uncomfortable feeling that if something started them to oscillate at a greater amplitude, that the amplitude could continue to increase resulting in uncontrollable head shake followed by a tank slapper and a crash. For that reason, I've considered getting a damper, but I cannot understand why they are so expensive since they are basically very simple devices.

Comments?

#4 ·
CDNSVS said:
Unless it is mandated, you really don't need a damper on an SV.
It's manditory on all wera race bikes

but yeah-the SV doesn't really need it-specialy in superstock class oh well :roll:

i'll steel the stocker of my gixxer and fab it up if i have to

#10 ·
nc_sv650 said:
ProTek, $34.99:

Shindy, $38.99:

Both from [url]www.denniskirk.com[/url]

:)
I can't find either of those products on denniskirk.com. That is the worst organization of a retail website ever. Do you have the part numbers?

#11 ·
Jacob said:
I can't find either of those products on denniskirk.com.   That is the worst organization of a retail website ever.  Do you have the part numbers?
I have the protek clamp in 41mm (stock sv forks). Bought it for a project but I scrapped the project. If you want you can have it for 20$ shipped. Or anyone else that is looking for one.

Edit: Here they are on the DK website anyways
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produ...tore=Main&catId=410&leafCatId=41008&brand=605

#13 ·
#14 ·
Ok peps,

1. Buy fork clamp to attach damper

2. Buy Shindy Damper, GSXR damper, etc...
Question: What stroke length should be used? 90 mm, 120mm???

3. Make mounting bracket to mount damper to frame.
Question: Would this bracket be hidden by the svs half fairing? If so, how can the damper be adjusted in a efficient manner?
Question: I guess what I'm really asking is, where would this bracket be on the 03-06 svs? Does anyone have any pics?

Thanks in advance for any help from the members.

Rgds,
brian

#15 ·
#19 ·
I take exception to the thought that an SV doesn't need a steering damper for racing or for inappropriate road riding. There's a reason the rules require it.
I can tell you from my limited experience that the damper came into its own on a bad line and some rough pavement at Nelsons Ledges. It did its job.

#20 · (Edited)
+1 John

I've had the bars dance in my hands going through the kink at Nelson even with the stock GSXR damper (a little too much slop in the middle) so I plan to get a proper steering damper. I prefer the NHK steering damper because it works and it does the job without paying $400.00 for it, but I may have to belly up to the bar and pay for one of the rotary style dampers if I can't get the NHK to work. I just hate paying for bling when a $50 part will do the job just as well.

#22 ·
I am going to cave and buy a damper. There is really only one corner in a half dozen tracks I've ridden where I feel like it's needed, but it's pretty bad there. I may get headshake here and there at different tracks, but nothing too serious and it sorts itself out. This one corner is 100mph kink with a big bump, I get headshake half the time without even trying. Had a bad slapper the other day, rotated the clipon clamps around the forks, lol

So, I guess there is no blanket answer. Decide for yourself if you need one. Kris Wall has said he doesn't feel it's necessary and he's quicker than anyone here.

#23 ·
true, but i still dont think they're a waste. i'd probably still have one on my bikes even if they werent required. you also have to remember riding styles play a lot into the way the bikes react here and there. being light handed and pretty neutral will help tremendously. but there are times when i ride it like a dirtbike and it gets twitchy. i'm also think bar and clip on angle positions have a lot to do with it. i keep my clip ons extended all the way out and at a very wide angle.

#27 ·
I put a 06 gsxr damper on my sv. There is a guy on here goes by Nucular. He has a CNC and sells the adapters to make this setup a drop in!
Very reasonable price. I picked up the damper for $28 at a local parts store.
Notes: it is not adjustable and the stock oil is very thin. Most guys just swap it out with 10 wt. I have not done this yet but I think I will

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.