No Spark No Low Lights - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV650 Gen1 (99-02) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

SV650 Gen1 (99-02) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 1999-2002 model SV650.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:36 PM   #1
Shockgryphon

Bikes: 01 SV650S
Miles Kms: 7700 mi
No Spark No Low Lights

Hey All,

I will try to explain what happened to the best of my ability and what I've checked for far.

My bike sat for about two years until last month when I decided to fix the bike. For electrical purposes, I changed my sparkplugs and battery. The bike has been working for a month until last Friday. I rode my bike home Thursday night for 50 miles or so (45 minutes) without any issues. I parked the bike and nine hours later when I went to ride again my battery was low and the engine wasn't really turning over. No big deal I thought, I'd try charging my battery that weekend and testing again.

On Sunday I tried jump starting my bike. I charged my battery up but wasn't really able to fire the bike up. It was almost like it was hesitating like when I had bad gas from it sitting so long. (There's no bad gas now, I've ridden 1000 miles + since getting the bike up and running last month).

I was able to get the bike running twice for about 10 seconds twice by doing something stupid and running the bike off of my car battery. The second time the bike died when I disconnected it from my car battery in an attempt to switch back to my motorcycle battery. I definitely heard a pop sound around this time that I think is my issue?

I currently have no low beams in park or in the on position with the ignition. My hi-beams and horn both work. I am able to turn the engine over using the starter and if I use the starter bypass on the side of the bike.

I have 12.4V on the battery that drops to 10.5 or so when cranking the starter. All my fuses look good, I checked the 30A and the 5 or so in the fuse box. I have 12.4 or so to my rear coil. I checked my rear coil for resistance and the primary / secondary were both good.

I get no spark to my sparkplug which is a month old. The rear sparkplug looks good. I haven't checked the front as I don't want to remove / drain the radiator by myself but I'm pretty sure this is an issue causing both to misfire.

I checked the green plug in front of the airbox that everyone seems to say goes back. It looked fine to me. All the electrical connections I checked seem fine.

What's the next piece I'm supposed to check at this point? I've read the ignition and anti- theft may be an issue but I don't know how to check that? What could that popping sound have been? And shouldn't my low beam lights come on when the bike is in the on position?

As an aside, I did find this connection that isn't plugged into anything. Should it be? [I tried position the link but can't due to post count]

http:/ /imgur. com/a/JCrMM
Shockgryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017, 09:04 PM   #2
Shockgryphon

Re: No Spark No Low Lights

As a follow up the negative ground by the rear cylinder is clean and looks good. No corrosion or anything. I tested the ignitor for the two wires on the side and they both produce about ~12.4V. I'll test the orange / red wire tomorrow to see if it produces about 6V.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:59 AM   #3
Shockgryphon

Okay i tested my bike's ignition harness at the contact points. Every wire was 0.0 or 0.1v except for my two wires on the end that were 12.2. Battery is at 12.3. I have a video i can upload later showing what i did if needed

Old 05-16-2017, 12:23 PM   #4
K2thJ

Bikes: Red '00 SV650 N
Miles Kms: 11000

I have the same issue, exactly! Watching intently for some advice. Thanks for posting and doing the electrical check that I had not thought of.
K2thJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:09 PM   #5
Straticus

Bikes: 1999 X naked Curvy

As the OP's bike has been stood for a long length of time it's best if every electrical connector and connection is pulled apart and serviced.Start with the largest multi-block connectors and go from there.

Electrical connection corrosion increases with lack of use.Electricity passing through connectors actually keeps them healthier.

I use a combination of Electrical Switch cleaner(Deoxit/Servisol) to clean the male and female parts and then treat with ACF50,

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...acf50&_sacat=0

If there is excessive corrosion a small piece of 500 grit paper wrapped around the end of a very small screwdriver can be used carefully to brighten/bare small spade connectors but care has to be taken so as not to need a connector replacement.
Straticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:02 PM   #6
golden chicken

Bikes: 2005 SV650n
Miles Kms: 54,000

I know it's a big, confusing diagram, but all you have to do is follow the power until you don't have it any more.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:19 PM   #7
Shockgryphon

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post

I know it's a big, confusing diagram, but all you have to do is follow the power until you don't have it any more.
This is exactly what I came here for. Right now I actually think it's my battery I'll be honest. There's a spot where it looks like it's leaked in a new sealed battery. On the plus side the company I bought the battery from is hooking me up. I think the pop sound I heard go was my battery when I was trying to charge the bike.

So thanks to chromebattery for their help with this. I'll let you guys know more once I get my new battery in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straticus View Post
As the OP's bike has been stood for a long length of time it's best if every electrical connector and connection is pulled apart and serviced.Start with the largest multi-block connectors and go from there.

Electrical connection corrosion increases with lack of use.Electricity passing through connectors actually keeps them healthier.

I use a combination of Electrical Switch cleaner(Deoxit/Servisol) to clean the male and female parts and then treat with ACF50,

If there is excessive corrosion a small piece of 500 grit paper wrapped around the end of a very small screwdriver can be used carefully to brighten/bare small spade connectors but care has to be taken so as not to need a connector replacement.
I've been going through each one of my connectors on my bike and they honestly all look pretty clean. I don't see any corrosion on them and my big green plug of death also looks good. My main negative ground looks great. I am concerned about why I'm not getting the 5-6V on the red / orange wire which I will need to backtrace at some point.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:33 PM   #8
Shockgryphon

Golden Chicken,

Do you happen to have the correct voltages that should be coming out of the ICU on each wire? I know that Black / white should be at battery voltage and red/orange should be at 5-6V from the ignition switch but not sure if any others are absolutely critical to getting the bike to start.

Pretty sure I'll need orange / white to the kill switch / starter button.

I get voltage to the coils so I think I'm all set on white. My bike turns over so green stripe / red/yellow is good. That just leaves Green / white/blue as possible culprits with the pulse generator if my ICU tests out correctly.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #9
K2thJ

Bikes: Red '00 SV650 N
Miles Kms: 11000

Thanks for the diagram Golden Chicken.
Quick question... which is the low beam on a fairing bike? The right?
K2thJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:04 PM   #10
golden chicken

Bikes: 2005 SV650n
Miles Kms: 54,000

I believe (but I have a naked) that both sides have hi and low on an SV.
Advertisement