No Spark No Low Lights - Page 2 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV650 Gen1 (99-02) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

SV650 Gen1 (99-02) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 1999-2002 model SV650.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:12 PM   #11
Shockgryphon

Bikes: 01 SV650S
Miles Kms: 7700 mi
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2thJ View Post
Thanks for the diagram Golden Chicken.
Quick question... which is the low beam on a fairing bike? The right?
Pretty sure passenger side is low both are high
Shockgryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #12
golden chicken

Bikes: 2005 SV650n
Miles Kms: 54,000
Re: No Spark No Low Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockgryphon View Post
Pretty sure passenger side is low both are high
If you look at the diagram, both sides have three wires. Hi, low, and ground. If your bike only has one side low, the other side's burnt out.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:31 PM   #13
Shockgryphon

Thanks chicken. Ill add it to the list of how broken my bike is

Old 05-18-2017, 12:53 PM   #14
K2thJ

Bikes: Red '00 SV650 N
Miles Kms: 11000

Thanks folks! My issue is well beyond my knowledge of electrical anything. Will be taking it it to trusty Ro, at Stuart's Cycle. He's never done me wrong...

I will certainly follow up with the diagnosis.
K2thJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #15
Shockgryphon

Let us know how it goes!

UPDATE: Battery replacement did not fix the issue. Pretty sure my lights issue is i damaged a connector when cleaning. Working on it hopefully this weekend after drill.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #16
golden chicken

A test light is a super helpful tool for our bikes since almost everything is simple 12V circuitry. Plus test lights can be had for $10 or less easily.

Just clip the test light to the negative battery post and if you have power, the light should light up. Always check it on the positive battery post first to be sure the light works.

You can use it to test fuses by poking in the two small holes on top of the fuse. The test light should light on both sides if the fuse is good. If the fuse is bad, it'll only light one side.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:32 PM   #17
Shockgryphon

Okay. Here's where I am at at the end of tonight.

Testing the front passenger light. When hi beams are on, I get about 10.5V on the yellow wire. Nothing on white or black/white. When I switch to low beams I get 12.8V on my white wire. Nothing on yellow or black / white.

The worst part is I'm pretty sure that's exactly how it is supposed to work. Working bulb.

For the rear lights where I get no lights anymore: I get 12.8V on the brown wire. Nothing on black/white or white/black. I don't have anyone to help test the front or rear brake switch but I'm currently getting neither rear nor brake lights.

The worst part is I'm pretty sure this bike had working lights before I started fooling around with it too much.

So if I'm getting good positive all around these wires it has to be a bad ground somewhere, right? But why wouldn't that affect the high beams which share the same ground as my low beams?

Park lights also do nothing as a heads up. I tried swapping high and low beam fuses and that did nothing. Turn signals work fine front and rear.

Lastly, I'm missing a license plate bulb but I don't think that would be causing an issue.

Any idea for what I should be searching for next? Double checking my main ground that I didn't mess something up when reassembling?

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2017, 10:35 PM   #18
golden chicken

Black/white wires are always ground (negative) on the bike. So, you can attach your voltmeter to the positive post on the battery and test all the black/white wires at your lights. If you read voltage, the ground is good. You could do the same with a test light.

Are you absolutely sure all the lights are good? They work if you hot wire them?
Old 05-20-2017, 07:28 PM   #19
Shockgryphon

Alright. Today's update:

Lights are all fixed. I blew them all being an idiot at the start of this. I've replaced the park light, brake light, tail light, both headlights, and license plate light. All appear to be working except for park light I haven't tested.

I thought I blew my 30A main fuse today though because after doing all my adjustments I wasn't getting ANYTHING on the bike despite it registering 12V everywhere I tested. I had a loose ground cable near the battery terminal that when I adjust it slightly the lights will come on. As soon as I try to crank the bike however, everything cuts out.

So I definitely have a short right now near that battery post. I feel like it is all one step forward two steps backwards. I'll try fixing that cable tomorrow and report back on the results.

TLDR: Have lights back, but now a faulty ground near the battery.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:29 PM   #20
Shockgryphon

Also as a follow up:

I bought an extra sparkplug to see if it is my sparkplugs having issues all along, but haven't been able to test with it yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement