Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Fender Eliminator - Universal?

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  NTJordan 
#1 ·
I was looking at buying a tail tidy but they seem stupidly expensive. I can't figure out why it would be worth buying the R&G one when universal mounts are less than a third of the cost. Has anybody had any experience with this? I'd most likely need a separate tail light and would want one that is plug and play. If there is an easy kit out there that simply holds the stock signals and takes a nice tail light and mounts easily, then I think I'm sold.

#2 ·
You won't likely find one that is truly plug and play. The SV requires cutting, unfortunately. When I bought my SV, I ordered a FE from Lockhart at around 80 bucks. What I got was a piece of junk. Lockhart includes a plastic filler piece that's supposed to fill the hole left by the SV's stock fender. This piece seemed to be made out of pressed cardboard. I'm serious- it's just crap. Next I purchased a Bestem undertail. The Bestem unit is well made, includes built-in LED signals (may not be legal in your state), and is a breeze to install. Best of all, it was selling for under 60 bucks when I bought mine.

#8 ·
The only truly "universal" kit is cutting down the stock one.

I did that to an 05 with good results for zero $$$$ while not touching the brake and signals. If you cut everything below the reflector blob and fabbed a good plate attachment the blob would be small with stock brake etc.

Give it a thought and a look. You would be removing or chopping the bits anyway.

#12 ·
This is what I did with the Versys, though I left a little more hanging to hopefully catch mud. I've always found "universal fit" code for "doesn't quite fit anything" and I don't want to shell out the cash for a proper one. Granted, I worry a lot less about the look than some do (not talking trash, just a personal preference thing) and if you really hate the shovel it might be worth the cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.