Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

My sv rat terd...

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  gone3uo6 
#1 ·

See less See more
#7 ·
that needs a little more dirt and a few more miles before it can be called a rat turd

but it looks like it has a start, don't put too much bling on it, add practical accessories or modifications that pay for themself with reduced maintenance cost and your personal convenience, spend your money on gasoline;)

#8 ·
Yeah I am definitely avoiding bling. So far all I've done is put a 520 chain on and a superlite steel spockets kit (stock 15/45).

I bondo'ed my tank and it's ready for a paint job whenever I get my lazy ass motivated to do it. I have full fairings ready to be painted too--going for flat black (using 2 stage Eastwood flat black paint).

One thing I definitely would like to splooge on is new rear sets...and maybe some new frame sliders since my current sliders have been crashed 2 times already.

#10 ·
Looks like the paint job is going to have to wait. I just low sided on a back road and went into a ditch. Cut grass on a hard left did me in.

And just so everyone knows, Teknic Mercury Pants SUCK!

#13 ·
OP, sorry to hear about the drop. Bittersweet that it's nearly the end of the riding season, but you can just get a start on your winter plans a few weeks earlier!

I'll play along with the rat bikes...

Before getting hit by a truck:

Now:

It will be getting some treatment over the winter, but I'm having a helluva time picking a color scheme. It hard to decide what would go well with the silver frame. The tank is the factory Thunder Gray and looks pretty nice, but I wouldn't mind painting over it. I should mention that this will all be a rattle can job but I plan to take my time and get the best results I can. The factory 2003 blue is nice, but I kinda want to do something different. I'm almost thinking a pearl white with an offset british racing green stripe from fender to tail? Or something easy like a flat black with a gloss white stripe or dual stripes. Clearly, I'm all over the board for colors but any suggestions or pictures would be appreciate. I am limited a bit by available colors in spray cans but I think I can make something work.

#14 ·
It will be getting some treatment over the winter, but I'm having a helluva time picking a color scheme. It hard to decide what would go well with the silver frame. The tank is the factory Thunder Gray and looks pretty nice, but I wouldn't mind painting over it. I should mention that this will all be a rattle can job but I plan to take my time and get the best results I can. The factory 2003 blue is nice, but I kinda want to do something different. I'm almost thinking a pearl white with an offset british racing green stripe from fender to tail? Or something easy like a flat black with a gloss white stripe or dual stripes. Clearly, I'm all over the board for colors but any suggestions or pictures would be appreciate. I am limited a bit by available colors in spray cans but I think I can make something work.
Check out ebay for some Eastwood urethane paints--thats where I picked up my flat black ($40) and Harbor Freight has gravity spray guns for $15.

It will probably end up being about the same cost as a rattle can job and you will have a better paint job. Just make sure you wear a mask and cover up everything with some plastic.

#15 · (Edited)
Finally took some pics of the pants and I have some copies of the x-rays...

Here are the Teknic Mercury Pants. The tear is not on a seam--it is just curled under at the accordian panel...

This is my knee after the stitches...

In the x-ray of my knee you can see the missing skin from my knee cap...

And here is the x-ray of my clavicle...

#16 · (Edited)
Drove my SV up the front steps and parked it in my dining room. Builts a stand to suspend the front and put a steel rod through the swing arm bolt which is resting on some jack stands.

Changed the tires out for some Bridgestone Battlax BT016's.

Installed a TL1000 front end--went on without a hitch. I did have to make a stem nut tool out of some pipe (learned that trick from svrider.com).

Cut my exhaust and is ready for a Delkevic stubby silencer.

Changed the oil out in my steering damper for some 10wt.

Waiting on fork clamp (53mm which I have to bore out to a 55mm) for the GSXR steering damper.

Here are some pics of my rat terds current state...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.