What regulator/rectifier r/r compatible - Page 4 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > 99-02 SV650 tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums Garage FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

99-02 SV650 tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 99-02 model SV650.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:24 PM   #31
Syscrush
Titanium Member

Bikes: 79 CBX aka Perry
Miles Kms: 20,000 km
Re: What regulator/rectifier r/r compatible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
I did it with the CBR600RR reg/rec, but it has 3 a/c wires and 2 pairs of positive and ground so it's a wee bit different. The hard part is getting the right wires
On Northy's suggestion I also tried the 600RR unit and so far I'm very happy with it. It's a 7-wire but it is really not difficult to cut and wire the plugs together. I also took the precautionary step of running heavy gauge wires from the R/R straight to the battery via a 30A fuse, just in case there's an issue with the wiring harness that's been killing my R/R's.

I got a new '05 600RR R/R for around $200, which is expensive compared to a used GSX-R unit off eBay, but it's very cheap compared to the amount of time and money and energy I was out when my stupid SV left me stranded in Vermont. I refuse to buy another aftermarket, used, or OEM SV R/R for this bike!
Syscrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2008, 02:22 PM   #32
ziptech800

Bikes: '00 -N + '03 -S + SRAD 750 + TL-S chimera
Miles Kms: 48000 mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syscrush View Post
I got a new '05 600RR R/R for around $200, which is expensive compared to a used GSX-R unit off eBay, but it's very cheap compared to the amount of time and money and energy I was out when my stupid SV left me stranded in Vermont. I refuse to buy another aftermarket, used, or OEM SV R/R for this bike!
I remember... that was a major PITA, and I would've felt the same way.

The 600RR R/R seems to be one of those on a Honda that actually doesn't fail like they are legendary for. I may have to ask Nortie about the specifics, as he rides in the exact same kind of weather I do here in Seattle.
ziptech800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:59 PM   #33
Syscrush
Titanium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziptech800 View Post
I remember... that was a major PITA, and I would've felt the same way.

The 600RR R/R seems to be one of those on a Honda that actually doesn't fail like they are legendary for. I may have to ask Nortie about the specifics, as he rides in the exact same kind of weather I do here in Seattle.
The '05 unit I installed is probably at least double the volume of the OEM SV one, and the wires on it are heavier gauge (plus there are twice as many for the power and ground lines). Best of all, it actually mounts to the same holes on the SV subframe, using the stock SV mounting bolts. The OEM tail plastic clears it just fine despite the larger size.

For the relatively small diff in price and effort and huge diff in confidence, I would always recommend this R/R over a used eBay replacement. I should also note that Suzuki had the f'n SV OEM things on back-order (like so much other stuff I've had to order over the last 2 years), whereas the Honda dealer came through with this part in 2 days.

Thanks again to Northy for posting about this and for answering my questions PM'd to him.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #34
TripleA

Bikes: 2000 Suzuki SV650
Miles Kms: 27000

Has anyone used a 05-06 GSXR 1000 R/R on their SV650. If so, let me know cause I have one coming in the mail and I need to know which wires go where. Thanks-Angelo
TripleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #35
cantdance

Bikes: 2000 suzuki sv650n

Look on page 3 of this section, thread titled "voltage regulator upgrade", I don't know how to link it, but it tells you everything you need to know. I used a MOSFET FH010 off a kawasaki from ebay, fits in the same place but rotated 90 degrees, problem solved for $43, could have bought a stock r/r for $140 and had the same problem before long. I also added a voltage gauge so if there's a problem, I'll know before it becomes a real problem.
cantdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:34 PM   #36
SausageCreatureIV

Bikes: 1979 KZ 650
Miles Kms: 36k miles and counting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0058&viewitem=

I just got this, I got it figured out except: How do you know which wire to ground, and which to power? Thanks.

Ed
SausageCreatureIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #37
D'Ecosse
Titanium Member

Bikes: 03 SV650S; Custom Triumph Daytona

Black/red is plus; black/white is minus

You would have been better with the CBR FH008 unit - MOSFET vs SCR
D'Ecosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:04 PM   #38
Syscrush
Titanium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SausageCreatureIV View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0058&viewitem=

I just got this, I got it figured out except: How do you know which wire to ground, and which to power? Thanks.

Ed
Why did you buy this one?

If it's an SCR unit, you might save yourself hassle (and money!) in the long run by investing in a proper MOSFET unit.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:32 PM   #39
Machine Age Victim

Bikes: '99 SV650 Chassis #129
Miles Kms: 20k

is this a mosfet one that will work? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NINJA...Q5fAccessories
please don't bid against me
Old 04-30-2009, 10:18 PM   #40
D'Ecosse
Titanium Member

Bikes: 03 SV650S; Custom Triumph Daytona

Get this one

or this one

Or this one if you want to go through the bidding process to try to get for less
D'Ecosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement