Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

RAM mount on my SV

19K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  ChipperJones 
#1 ·
So I'm planning on taking a trip down from DFW to the Twisted Sisters in Austin Hill Country next weekend and decided it would be good to have a GPS/phone mount on my SV. Here is what I bought from Amazon - the unit is a bit bulky but it certainly holds the phone in place solidly.

I have convertibars on my SV and so I had no space on the handlebars themselves to attach the mount. However, just when I was about to give up, I found the perfect mounting point; there are two vertical bars on either side of the ignition column. Here are some pictures if anyone is considering purchasing a mount like this and is wondering where to put it!

See less See more
1 6
#2 ·
I wouldn't have thought to mount mine like that. I have an 07s and used the 1/4 inch or so of empty space on my clutch side clip-on to mount mine. I will admit I really like having gps on my bike.

What app do you use for your gps?

Also, did you mount a power outlet? If so, where?

#3 ·
I use Google Maps on my Android device. Much more accurate than dedicated GPS units I've used in the past like Garmin and Tom Tom in my experience.

I do have a power outlet and you can see it at the bottom of the first picture above - I just mounted it to the front fairing frame with a 3M command strip and a zip tie. Let me know if you would like to see a more detailed picture.

My only concern regarding the GPS is what happens when it starts raining. I guess just pull over and put the phone away...

#6 ·
I'm not a big fan of the phone mounts built like this. The plastic directly connected to the phone will vibrate and potentially give you some troubles down the road (pun intended). If I was you I'd keep the ram mount (nothing but good things to say about these) and sell the mount and get something else.

Like rman said, waterproof is the way to go. Uglier? Yes but it's functional.

My two pennies.

#7 ·
Not sure what you mean... are you saying keep the mount that's on the bike and the arm, but sell the mount that holds the phone? Will the vibration cause damage to the phone over time? If that's a possibility, I'll line the plastic with some shock absorbing material. I would do a waterproof case, but the annoyance then is not being able to use the touchscreen while its covered...

#8 ·
Sorry bad wording on my part. Yeah the vibrations over time have caused problems for quite a few people who have used this sort of set up. (I was originally saying I think you should keep the mount, ball and arm and sell the actual phone holder and get something else).
A lot of people with car gps's too have reported the same problems with these types of mounts. A vibration resistant material would definitely be a good idea though :)

Here's what I got for my sv. http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/AquaBoxMounts/tabid/125/Default.aspx

Use it for my gps and my iPhone and works great

#10 ·
Touch screen works on the gps and the iPhone but the iPhone won't work if I have gloves on (because of the heat sensing touch screen that iPhones have).

I have the cables all routed through the bottom (there's an insert that you drill out).
It's a cool little mount, does look a little bulky and can be a little hard to see in the sun at times but I use it just about every time I go out :)
Some of the best money I have spent to date (cost about 60 bucks)

#12 · (Edited)
does the mount bang around the control cables. I had originally mounted it like that, but went with a different mounting point. As I notice the cables rubbed against the mount and sometimes the cables get caught when the arm was connected up. Did you tie down the cables to prevent the cables from being interfered with by the mount?

#13 ·
The only cable that comes in contact with the mount or the arm is the clutch cable. It does rub against it slightly, but doesn't look like it would snag or cause a problem. I haven't ridden the bike with the mount on yet so I'll try to go for a test run tomorrow and see if there are any such issues. Thx for heads up and I'll report back. What other cables did you have interfering with it mounted there?

#18 ·
I have an app called co-pilot on my droid. It was $10 and downloads the maps to your phone so you do not need a 3G connection. My friends and I learned the hard way that we needed this. We also learned that we need to power the phones on the bike, since we lost signal and power in upstate NY 11 hours into our riding day. I swear, one bar we stopped at for directions was playing deliverance music.

#21 ·
My take on using the phone gps on a motorcycle. I rather spend the 100 dollars for the larger screen garmin GPS, as the good apps you download to keep maps tracking on your phone is pricey, but takes up allot of memory on your phone. And do update still as you do need 3g/4g service. Also the phone is my emergency device. I rather have that on my body in a protected pocket. And the 4.5 and 5 inch screen are allot easier to read vs the 3.5 on most smart phones.

#25 ·
I wouldn't go the phone route because Of the simple fact that you'll get better coverage with a gps. Phones will work just fine in the cities but when your out Rodin backroads or on trips, chances are pretty good that you'll hit a few dead spots and won't have any navigation. This on top of the fact that it will cost you a pretty penny if you leave the country and need navigation an decide to use your phone.

#27 ·
I put a Ram mount on my SV, along with a 12v outlet on the handlebar. It's a little crowded when I'm reaching for my ignition key, but everything is nice and compact. Plus, with my tank bag, I can stow the excess phone charger cable in the side pocket.

Here's a shot I took for a picture tag thread, but you can see the mount and power socket. I really like the Ram mount, it's super stable and easy to read when I'm cruising.

#30 ·
I actually decided against the aquabox because my phone gets so hot when it's running GPS, data, bluetooth, and charging that I wanted some air to blow past it. If it starts raining, I can always stick the phone in my jacket.

Here's a better shot of how I have the Ram set up. I moved it out from behind the Puig screen a bit, and it's much easier to use.

The 12v outlet is actually a Battery Tender sae 12v outlet in a Trackside handlebar mount. I picked up the Trackside outlet from Cycle Gear for $10, but when I tried it with my car charger, it wouldn't work. I hacked the outlet apart, spliced in a spare SAE plug, and nothing worked. Turns out, my actual car charger was broken. :lol: I salvaged the handlebar mount and used a few zip ties to hold the Battery Tender outlet in place. Does the job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.