Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Best Year of SV650?

12K views 44 replies 35 participants last post by  Ollie57 
#1 ·
So I have been viewing a lot (frick since Oct 2008? that's when I got my M2), obviously not posting, looking for more or less a first bike, and have been set on the SV650.

The thing is, I think I have read so much on here and all the gizmo's Suzuki has added over the years which make a bike 'better', but often to the riders it has made it worse.

Looking at the car world, drive-by-wire is 'better', except if you own a Toyota...

Was searching for a thread comparing each year, and had a hard time, so wanted user input.

Regardless of what you have, what is your favorite year(s)?

#3 ·
So I have been viewing a lot (frick since Oct 2008? that's when I got my M2), obviously not posting, looking for more or less a first bike, and have been set on the SV650.

The thing is, I think I have read so much on here and all the gizmo's Suzuki has added over the years which make a bike 'better', but often to the riders it has made it worse.

Looking at the car world, drive-by-wire is 'better', except if you own a Toyota...

Was searching for a thread comparing each year, and had a hard time, so wanted user input.

Regardless of what you have, what is your favorite year(s)?
Well, no SV is throttle by wire. The only major differences are the shape of the frame on the 2nd gen, the bodywork, and the addition of fuel injection on the 2nd gen SV..

#4 ·
The drive-by-wire was just an example, of technology gone bad ;) (mind you good from other stand points).

More concerned about stuff like I think ABS and various other granny adds, including new speed limiters (2005 I think was adding a lot of these kindof components).

#6 ·
The drive-by-wire was just an example, of technology gone bad ;) (mind you good from other stand points).

More concerned about stuff like I think ABS and various other granny adds, including new speed limiters (2005 I think was adding a lot of these kindof components).
I don't think any SV650 had a speed limiter. The bikes are limited by drag, not electronics.

Only 2007 and on had the option of ABS and not to many of those bikes were made or sold. It is easy to tell if a bike has ABS just by looking at the brake discs on the front wheel.

#5 ·
I read a post recently (I think posted by Fatass Sv?) where he outlined some minor differences among different years of the SV. Long and short of it was that '99 was possibly the best due to Suzuki not yet cheaping out on certain parts to increase their profitability. I'm inclined to agree that the '99 is the way to go. :)

#8 ·
The best year of SV is always next year's model. I say this because maybe Suzuki will listen to their consumers when they request better components like suspension.

Someone will say "but the SV is a budget bike." That is not the point, I'd happily pay a little higher MSRP to save money later from upgrading the suspension myself. Suspension is the #1 mod for this bike.

#13 ·
no doubt 99s are best

the SV is a budget bike, beginning in 2000, Suzuki began making "improvements". that is improvments to their profit margin, they began to cut corners where ever they could (the first "improvement" a change in the crankcase casting, resulted in the SVs first reacall and retrofitting a baffle to replace the one they removed )

99s have the strongest cranks

2nd gens improvments were items that could further reduce the cost of mfg.

more parts shared with other bikes, things like a radiator that hits the ground before anthing else in a tipover

carbs were too expensive so they replaced it with a cheesey FI system, etc

#15 ·
carbs were too expensive so they replaced it with a cheesey FI system, etc
Ok, that is just nonsense. The earlier FI system is a bit rudimentary, but to state that it was introduced as a cost saving measure is absurd.

Edit: I guess I should defend my statement. The reasons FI costs more than carbs: All the necessary control sensors, higher pressure fuel pump and associated fuel plumbing, larger more advanced control unit. Also, all costs associated with designing and programming of the new EFI system and components.

#18 ·
I like the style of first gens better, but I find the second gen just a bit more comfortable. Pretty similar all things considered. I don't have much preference as far as carbs vs FI, but maybe I just haven't discovered the awesome that is owning an FI bike. Dunno.

#21 ·
99-02 Curvy frame, carbed, analog dash. People with know how say these bikes have a higher HP potential.
03+ ECU, digital dash, fault codes, preload adjustable forks, EFI introduced, new silver frame. Oddball year, subframe has different angle.
04+ new subframe angle
05+ black frame, i think this was the year they started using the smaller radiator
07+ Twin spark plugs, new ECU, changes to the injection, euro and cali models have an o2 sensor (PCIII throws fault codes), ABS optional. Despite popular belief, the bike doesn't have a significantly higher mpg. Twin spark plugs were introduced to meet tougher environment standards. (burns cleaner)

#22 ·
Twin spark plugs were introduced to meet tougher environment standards. (burns cleaner)
also one of the reasons FI was introduced to begin with, easier to make FLEET emission standards for the model if you make it harder for the general public to monkey with the tuning, would have cost a lot more to meet standards with carbs

#23 ·
my 02 has the preload adjusters on the fork, i think that's the exception not the rule. I like the rounded frame, i like the looks and easy cleanability of the naked bike. FI is supposedly better for cold starts somewhat more reliable BUT if the FI goes bad it tends to go bad in a more destructive way ,ie lean out at high rpms.While carbs tend to just clog idle jets and make your bike harder to start until you clean them or they go out of sync and reduce performance and gas mileage. Gen one has the stronger crank i think a prev poster had it right that the 99 has the best crank, but i think there were some first year problems as well,sheared oil or water pump gears? I think i would mix it all up a bunch of years,if it were possible. ie i think i like the composite cylinders and a few other engine parts off the gladius.

#24 ·
Surprisingly, most people will agree on which year is the best - whichever year they have!

Really, they are all pretty good, just a few changes here or there - no real deal-breakers.

The question for you is which body style do you like best? Then "S" or "N".

Jay

#37 ·
Some of the response here are a joke. This question is so subjective? Which year is the best, best what? Best track tool, best one to tinker on, best one to do sport touring on, best one to commute, best bang for your buck..... Each year has it's + and - depending on the owner.

Also in the carb vs FI debate give me a brake. Carbs even a well tuned carb will take a back seat to the performance of a modern FI system. The carb can be great but it's too narrowly focused and can be off by things such as altitude and temperature. The standard FI system and specifically the closed loop FI system on 07+ CA model SV's is spot on. It's squeeze more power out of the engine and uses less gas in doing so. As for tinkering with our carb versus FI again it depends on what you know. I've done both and from my experience the FI is a lot easier. Get a basic PC or laptop play with your FI setting and go ride. If the settings aren't right no big deal 5 mins and tweak them again. It's a whole other ball game with jetting and tweaking a carb system. Taking apart the bike to get to the carbs and then changing the jets or shimming your needle, much much more time intensive.

My OPINION is that the 07+ SV's are the best all around SV out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.