Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Naked windshield/flyscreen ?

30K views 35 replies 27 participants last post by  Dnepr 
#1 ·
I am planning to replace the windshield on my 01 naked and can't decide what direction to take, would appreciate any pics of fly screens , windshields etc that you have and why you like them. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Givi makes a screen that works pretty well on the 1st Gen. I like mine a lot. It has helped with the buffeting and made long rides a bit more comfortable. I think the man. # is A750.
They did carry one that matched the 00 blue and some of the other stock colors, or came pretty darn close.

#3 ·
A few people have PMed me in the past asking about mine, so I'll post up.
I have a Spitfire Slipstreamer. It came with my 250. Retails for somewhere around $70-90. Works pretty good. I'm tall (6') so the wind would buffet around my helmet if I was sitting straight up. Luckily, I was able to adjust it to a good height and angle to fix that problem.

#9 ·
I have to strongly disagree with streetfighter on this one. I have a holeshot flyscreen on my naked 08. It makes a huge difference, while there is still some wind around my helmet, there is much less pressure hitting my chest. Makes for a much more enjoyable experience ay highway speeds.

#19 ·
I have the Holeshot on my '02 naked, as well. I've tried a few screens, but never a large one. I prefer the Holeshot over all the other screens I've used.

The flyscreen really helps, and it also helps keep bugs off your chest. ;)

Some of the slightly taller/midsized screens will put my helmet into turbulent air and it's very unpleasant. The Holeshot doesn't.

(Not my bike)

#13 ·
I bought this Givi screen off of a member here. It had a small crack in it, but I drilled a small hole near each end of the crack. It was a nice purchase!

It definitely makes a difference. Ride 600 miles in a day and you can really tell. For cooler rides, you'll notice the difference even more.

I THINK it's the Givi A600 model but I could be wrong. Clamps onto the handlebars.

#22 ·
I have the suzuki flyscreen made by national cycle. Its kinda kinda scratched up and cracked from use but replacing it is kinda expensive. You'd think a piece of plastic like that wouldnt cost $130 to replace. Same with the holeshot. So it stays and says character even though i dont want it to.

A flyscreen definitely helps. Its hard to believe that such a small thing works as well as it does. and I feel it doesnt really betray the naked ethos of the bike.

#23 ·
National Cycle F16

#25 ·
I have the OEM Suzuki windscreen for first gens, like dmleong. I like it because it attaches between the headlight stays, so I can fold it down for warm weather, or push it upright and it blocks the wind and rain from my chest. In the more upright position, I get some wind buffeting under my helmet, but I wear earplugs always, plus when I push it forward, it's generally in bad weather, so I crouch behind it, and that also tames the buffeting noise.

Problem is that this particular screen has been discontinued, so you would need to look for a used one.

For new windscreens for the first gen, Givi makes some model-specific screens, as well as some generic ones that will fit. Also, Puig makes some screens specifically for the SV. A third choice would be National Cycle. They have some nice generic screens that will fit the first gen.

#31 ·
I bought this inexpensive French Puig, found some vinyl stick-on that matched the silver of my bike and applied it over the (illegal) red windshield. I rode the bike naked for a while, but the tiny fly-screen made a HUGE difference, especially at freeway (& faster) speeds!

#32 ·
While designed for the 1st gens, I have had both the National Cycle F-16 (all plastic) and the National Cycle F-15 Touring (metal brackets) shields on my 2nd gen naked. In both cases, I mounted the shield or bracket to the outside of the headlight bracket, routing the headlight bolts thru the shield/bracket and used a few large rubber washers as cushions between the metal headlight brackets and the shield/bracket. Instead of using the angle adjusters supplied with each shield, I measures and cut some aluminum bar to fit between the rear-most screw on the headlight bracket and the adjustment point on the shield/bracket. IIRC, I also had to trim a small portion off the bottom edge of the F16 shield to provide clearance for the top of the headlight so I could adjust the shield angle. The F-16 is more flexible, being all plastic. The F-15 with its metal brackets seems sturdier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.