Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

How to change your spark plugs

35K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  r0ckrat 
#1 ·
I know the 07+ have 4 plugs right? but 03-06 only have two i think. Can anybody post a tuturial (with pics would be awesome!) on changing the plugs in an 03-06, showing location of plugs and best way to reach them?

#2 ·
Rear plug: Remove seat, unbolt front of gas tank, tip tank upwards (make sure not to have it full of gas or it will leak out the top) and use a rod (one comes in the tool kit) to hold it up. The rear cylinder is right at the base of the tank. Pull the wire + plug out of the top of it, remove the spark plug with a spark plug socket on an extension. I believe there is a spark plug tool in the toolkit as well.

Front spark plug: Remove any necessary bodywork if a S model, unbolt the 3 bolts holding the radiator in place. Push radiator forward, there is the top of the front cylinder. Remove the plug and wire and then remove the spark plug with a spark plug socket. The factory tool does a good job of getting in there, as it is a tight space with the radiator there.

To install new plugs: put a dab of anti-seize on the threads, turn plug in by hand, once it is tight by hand, tighten with a wrench another 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Make sure it is snug but not overly tight, as you can strip the threads.

When putting the plug back on the front spark plug, put some dielectric grease in the plug boot, will help protect against water.

#17 ·
like sgilkey said, and for the 07 and up the extra plugs are on the side of the heads, front one is easily visible and accessible, rear is on the left side and a bit harder to reach. plug wrench from the stock toolkit is best, as it has a joint which helps you wiggle it down to the left rear plug. also it's not a real heavy duty tool which is fine because the torque spec on these plugs is @ 8 lbs.ft.
tip: pry the plug caps up with a screwdriver as per the owner's manual; avoid pulling on the wire. also if you can, blow some air around the plugs before you remove them in order to get rid of any crud that may fall into the hole.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.