Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Gummy Carbs? How to clean?

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  xplatem1 
#1 ·
OK,
Saw are real sweet red '01. Only about 900 miles. Fellow said he left the gas in it and the carbs are probably gummed up. Understand it cost about $350 to get them cleaned and re set.

Is this a big job? Is this something a novice can do? Are there any links that show how to clean out the carbs?

My buddy said his bike was running bad but that it was an air leak from seals "drying out". Cost about the same to get it corrected.

Help.

I would like to buy this bike but really would like to fine a cheaper way to get it right.

x

#2 ·
carbs are an easy, novice job, as long as you take your time and do it right. Go slow.. if you think things are going really well.. slow down, cuz you're about to do something stupid.

#3 ·
I hate to throw a bit of cold water on things......but I think this is the truth:

An '01 with 900 miles is going to end up having more issues than fermented carbs. Take a long hard look at anything rubber. Hoses, fittings - TIRES. Look for any cracking to indicate dry rot. These things are MEANT to be used - not sit in some garage, neglected to the point of no-start fuel issues.

Unless its been replaced - it'll need a battery before too long. Those don't care to sit unused either. Electrical gremlins pop up for no reason....the list goes on. I'd knock 500 bucks off whatever he's asking for the simple fact that you'll have to spend ~300 bucks to get the carbs sorted, and leave a few bucks leftover for 'issues'.

After watching supposedly 'cherry' low-mile bikes that are several years old roll through the shop the last two years - when I saw the words " '01 " and "900" miles referring to the same bike - I cringed. Add the gummed up carbs and the bike has been sitting somewhere for a LONG time.

It's probably really nice - but don't believe for a second that there aren't other non-use/age related issues waiting to rear up. The owner won't agree and will cite the 900 miles as a reason to charge more. Hogwash - I can show you numerous examples of nice, very expensive cars that were garage kept and run only once or twice a year. Nearly every time they got started - something was wrong. Stupid - little things, whereas the same model daily-driver had only normal periodic issues.

Whoever bought that bike and let it sit for so long should be smacked in the face - really, really hard.

#5 ·
Ruefus tells the true word. I got an 01 with about 4k (which is way more than 900 miles) and the guy had let it sit for the past year and there were a number of things that I had to do. The brake fluid was totally nasty and needed to be replaced. The brake hoses seem squishy and probably need to go, the carbs weren't as clean as they might have been and so it had this problem with keeping an even idle. The battery was acting a b*tch for the first few months but then it was okay and still is. I'm probably going to replace it this season.

BUT, maybe you can consider all this as fun to be had and learning about your new bike. That's how I looked at it and I don't regret my purchase.

#6 ·
Humm here's a short list of things to be cleaned, inspected and/or replaced.
cleaning the fuel tank, fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel line
carbs, and vacuum hoses.
coolant fluid, coolant reservoir, radiator hoses
oil, oil filter
spark plugs, plug wires
brake fluid, brake lines
tires, fork oil, battery, chain
lube axles, wheel bearings, swing arm, control cables, steering stem and any moving pivot point.
/list

So as ruefus said, I'd factor in ALL these items into the price of the bike. That's one hell of a list of things to replace and clean and the parts cost is going to be over $400-$500 when you add in the tires. And if you're not able to change your fork oil or bleed your own brake and take it too a shop factor in labor hour rates around $68-$72 at standard book hourly rate.

Good luck!!!

#8 ·
I bought my '01 in late '05 w/ 5700 miles. It had sat for at least a year with very few miles put on. I replaced the battery after it stranded me one very cold and rainy night (if you can push start one of these you have my respect). I also replaced the coolant right away. One of the lines to the coolant overflow was clogged, so it definitely needed changing. Surprisingly, the carbs weren't all that bad. I did pull them and go through them. They had only minor amounts of grunge. . . .

GDI

#9 ·
Thanks guys. I really feel good now. I was worried about gremlins and wondering if I really should. I have a bud that is going over with me tomorrow to take a look.

I still may end up buying it. My problem was not knowing what to expect. Now that I have your education and advice, I can make an offer accordingly.

I am going to post a seperate questions asking for detail carb cleaning instructions. If anyone has a link, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks

x

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.