Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Rear Axle Torque

43K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  Kiwi Rider 
#1 ·
Hey all. Any advice will be appreciated. I bought my bike a couple and haven't had to do a chain adjustment utill lastnight. The torque spec in the owners manual says 72.5 lb-ft. Is this correct? this seems really high and it was not even close to this when I loosened it up. Just don't want to screw anything up.

Thanks.

#5 ·
andyauger said:
72.5 is NOT CORRECT for the first generation bikes.  Firest generation is 47 lb-ft or 65 N-m.
Andy's correct, my mistake...

72.5 - 2nd gen only

#7 ·
DougZ said:
sv1K and GSXR 600 both 72.5 like Tony stated...I'd bet 45 is a typo...this came up before and even Zoran said 72.5 is correct.
Funny, just downloaded the 1st gen service manual to check this. If it's a typo, then they got it wrong in my manual too. I do remember Zoran's post though, maybe someone else can clarify.

#8 ·
tonyjuliano said:
Funny, just downloaded the 1st gen service manual to check this. If it's a typo, then they got it wrong in my manual too. I do remember Zoran's post though, maybe someone else can clarify.
I think I am remembering it right, if not, oh well, I know mine are 72.5. LOL

#16 ·
How important is it to torque it up?
Apparently on a buell you have to make sure it is at the right torque....
But for an 2003 SV650S...how important is it to be torqued exactly right?
I hear most of the tyre places don't even use a torque wrench when they pull your wheel off to replace the tyre...

somebody? anybody?

#17 ·
I am confused on the proper rear axle torque for a 2005 model. The manual says 100 nm. The 2nd generation Haynes book says 65nm. The consensus is 72.5 ft/lbs is correct. I believe that roughly translates to 98nm. Others have said 100nm is way too tight. So I should set the torque wrench to??

#24 ·
FWIW
I was always weary of overtightening my axle nut. So I would tighten it while spinning the wheel and when it started to slow down much i would say its tight enough.

Well, I found out what happens when you under torque the axle nut. My adjuster bolt snapped off right at the adjuster block.

I'll be sure to crank it down a bit more from now on.

cheers

#25 ·
I have a first Gen SV650 K2 (2001). I got the bike back after the shop changed the tire. I noticed, after quite awhile that the axle nut is mounted on the left (sprocket side) of the bike while I see on most illustrations it should be mounted on the right (brake side) of the bike. Just last week it snapped the chain adjuster bolt most likely due to an under tightened nut. Now that I've replaced the tensioner bolt and tried to tighten the axle nut to what the torque secs say. the rear wheel does not want to spin freely.
My question is Does it matter which side of the bike the axle nut is on and why?

Randy

#26 ·
No it doesn't matter. Myself and most of the guys whom I race SV's with reverse the axle and have the nut on the LH side because we have two sets of rims and do a lot of wheel changes. It means the end of the axle can be used to hold the rear brake caliper in place whilst you grab the other wheel that you are about to install.

Regarding your wheel not spinning freely: Just check you have both spacers in place, one on each side. Also check you haven't lost the long spacer that sits inside the hub carrier and stops the wheel bearings getting pushed out of their recesses. Could also be brake caliper pads dragging.