Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Tire Size??

7K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  ZeroSpawn 
#1 ·
I have a question about tire size. I have a SV1000. I am currently running a 180-55. I am wearing all the way to the edge. Also, I feel like my turn in is kinda slow compaired to some of my friends bikes. If I go to a 190-50, will the tire be a little "rounder"? Does that make sense? I guess, will a 190-50 turn in any faster and will I be able to lean it a little further without wearing off the edge of the tire?

#3 ·
I have a question about tire size. I have a SV1000. I am currently running a 180-55. I am wearing all the way to the edge. Also, I feel like my turn in is kinda slow compaired to some of my friends bikes. If I go to a 190-50, will the tire be a little "rounder"? Does that make sense? I guess, will a 190-50 turn in any faster and will I be able to lean it a little further without wearing off the edge of the tire?
What kind off bikes do your frieds have ??
You can not compare it with a super sport with better suspension.

#4 ·
I have a question about tire size. I have a SV1000. I am currently running a 180-55. I am wearing all the way to the edge.

I guess, will a 190-50 turn in any faster and will I be able to lean it a little further without wearing off the edge of the tire?
Beef up your suspension. 190 Tire is not going to help you lean more, you need to work on your body position.

If you are on edge of your tire, then you must use your body more. If you fail to use your body and increase your lean angle you will be hit by a tree or parked car.

#5 ·
K, I think I wrote that a little wrong. I don't have a problem getting the bike over. It is just that I know guys on, lets say a GSXR, with the same size tire and I assume same size rim and I am wearing further on my tire. I was just wondering, cause a 180-55 has a taller sidewall than a 190-50. So in my brain that tells me the tire might be a little more rounded, and then I would have a little more tire to lean into. Does that make sense? kinda hard to explain.

#8 ·
Ok, thanks. I think I am currently right near those pressures. I set it at 28 rear and 31 front, basing this on recomendations from a OEM tire guy concerning DOT race tires. Anyway, it isn't that I really have any complaints. I am running those Bridgestone BT016s. I really REALLY like them. I am gonna post a thread about them later when I have time to take some pics. I guess I was really just wondering about tire profiles and stuff when I posted this. Just my mind wandering.......

#9 ·
well alright.. also it cant hurt(well it could) to try a different tire size to see if it produces any changes, but a smaller side wall could potentially lower the back by a half inch or so which will change things. everything works together so changing one seemingly insignificant thing may result in a list of other necessary changes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.