Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How To: Install Third-Eye mirrors! W/PICS!!!!

19K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  oo7evan 
#1 ·
Ok, forgive me if i did something unconventional to others that already have them on. I too, like many others, didn't like the "mickey mouse" stock mirrors. I searched and searched for a solution, yet couldn't find anything i really liked and could afford. I wasn't too impressed with the Third-eye mirrors at first, but i bit the bullet and bought some because i was tired of looking behind me while i was riding. They have grown on me via other ppl's bikes and now that they are on my bike, i can't believe i waited so long. So, now we come to how to install them on your bike!

First step is to get your old bar ends off. be careful as to not unscrew them too much or the nut will fall off and then you'll have to go fishing inside your handlebars. I would do one side at a time so you don't get parts confused or anything.

Next, take apart you bar end and keep track of what you have.

Next, open your third-eye mirror if you havn't already. Take the mirror apart and get rid of the square nut, long bolt, and 2 rubber pieces. just set them off to the side, you wont use them, but might wanna keep them just incase.

OK, now we are going to put the bracket end of the mirror that will go into your handlebar together. I reused my old bar end, bolt, nut, and rubber bushing. I did not use the very end piece of my old bar end as i didn't like the way it looked with the mirror bracket on the end, plus they had a little rash!

This is the order of the "new" pieces that will go together.

I had to make a little modification to the mirror bracket in order for the bolt to fit.
First, figure out what size your bar end bolt diameter is and then pick a drill bit the same size and drill through the small mirror braket hole.

Now the bolt fits, but as you can see, the head of the bolt still sits out. The actual mirror will not fit on the bracket. You have 2 options here: 1) Grind the head down until the mirror will fit on the bracket; or 2) use a bigger drill bit to sink the head into the mirror bracket so the mirror will fit. I opted for option #2 because amazingly, of all the tools i do own, a bench grinder is not one of them. :angry7: CAUTION!!! When you are drilling the second bigger hole to sink the head, make sure you go really slow, or else the drill bit will eat right through the other side, then you're screwed! Just drill really SLOW.

Now the head of the bolt is sunk into the bracket and the mirror will fit just fine now.

Now, put the bolt through the bracket, then the bar end, then the rubber piece, then the nut.

Ok, now put the bar end w/bracket back on to your handle bar and snug it down. Not too tight cause you're gonna want to adjust your mirrors right?

Now re-install the mirror onto the mirror bracket. VIOLA! Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Here's a pic of both of the mirrors installed on my bike. Please excuse the dustiness; it's been cold, so all the wife's little projects (sanding crap) get done in the garage. Hope you like!

Thanks for reading my "How-To". Hope it was helpful. Now it's time for beer! :eek:ccasion14:

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: Finally! How-To install Third-Eye mirrors! W/PICS!!!!

Very nice. I like your setup (with the shorter bar ends) vs. mine. I wasn't sure if the different screws would mount flush enough to fit the mirrors on there. I'm using stock bar-ends, and the mounting screw is a flat headed phillips screw. There's no counter sinking of the screw head required. However, you do have to grind the sides of the screw down to make it skinny enough to fit inside the mirror bracket.

Here's a shot of mine (not embedding the image because it's large - I hate distorting the forum dimensions):

http://68.13.86.143:3784/Images/Motorcycles/P6031133.JPG

I really don't like the way they stick out so far.

#5 ·

jtemple said:
Very nice. I like your setup (with the shorter bar ends) vs. mine.

I really don't like the way they stick out so far.
Thanks, i wasnt sure about them at first, but they have deffinatly grown on me and they are useful for sure!

you could always buy a cheap pair on EBay and get rid of the stockers. i think i'm about to take mine off just to paint over the carbon part.

#6 ·

Suggestion.Get rid of the crappy aluminum screw assy and get some stainless screws,washers and nuts to hold the mirror on.

#9 ·
i get less shoulder/elbow with the 3rd eye than the stockers. when mounted to the end of your bar-end weights there's very little noticeable vibration. overall they're an improvement over stock both visually and aesthetically

#14 ·
I just installed these on my '05 naked. Instead of filing down the flat head screw on the stock bar ends, I went to Menard's and bought two 6mm x 70mm hex head bolts to replace the standard screws. I drilled the Third-Eye bracket to fit the larger diameter, then stuck the whole assembly in the bar end, turning the whole bar end/bracket to tighten the mirror, then adjusting the mirror itself.

I definitely like the look of these over the stock mirrors. It takes some getting use to, due to the lower position and smaller actual size, although the convex shape shows more. However, after this acclimation period, I found that the view is much better, no shoulder obstruction. I could look in my right mirror and see a vehicle that was behind and to the left of me (7 o'clock), which is MUCH better than the stock set. I might try Napoleans in the future, but these are hard to beat for the price (~$30).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.