Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Offical Suzuki Gladius (SFV650) Discussion Thread

95K views 430 replies 168 participants last post by  WolfNman 
#1 ·
#9 · (Edited)
I honestly think the gladius is a good direction for a bike. Not all bikes, just _a_ bike.

I'd like to see some specs and more pictures, but it's obviously not marketted to the "conventional" biker market. That being (in my mind) young men (18-30) who would like something sportier, or rugged, or mid-life-crisis men (40+) who need a phat cruiser.

It's obvious to me that this bike is intended for girls more than guys. I don't see anything wrong with a bike designed with women in mind. Bubbly styling akine to the versys, only moreso, low seat height (i hope) and manageable power (a 650 twin)...I mean, I don't see anything wrong with that.

it just means I won't be buying it. but that's fine, I prolly won't buy a gixxer1000 either eh

edit: okay, i should have clicked the link for specs.

#14 ·
I don't know if it is.

Looking at the current Suzuki site (www.suzukicycles.com) it lists the "S" model (and the Gladius) in the Sportbike category and the standard SV650 model in the Standard category. Though the SV is still listed as 2008, so, maybe...

Look at it this way, once the Gladius comes out (no pun intended) our SVs will look like macho bikes!

#13 · (Edited)
different bike.

i know i say this now, but i hope to keep my sv for at least 4 years. at the pace i'm going, that means i should hit 60 to 70 000 kms on it by then.

only way i see myself replacing the sv is if the s/o wanted to do two-up touring. otherwise i hope to keep the sv as my touring mule.

#19 ·
superflop. it looks like the designers did some grave robbing before they frankensteined the two halves of the frame together. and whats with the enormous passenger peg thing? looks like crap. and a banana seat to boot. lets just say im disappointed, i was hoping for more from the sv replacement (if thats what this thing is)

#21 ·
*shrug*

it's something the significant other might like. i agree that it's nowhere near the bike (for ME) that the sv650naked is. so, the thought that the sv650n is being replaced is kind of a bummer.

but i still think that on it's own, the gladius is a good bike (without seeing it in person, or riding it)...take that for what it is worth.

#69 · (Edited)
Better learn to like them if you ever want a new naked bike.
Or don't learn to like them so you don't buy them and the manufacturers are forced to stop making them, which would be good and bad.

But just because these are the styling cues of today doesn't mean that the Gladius is successful. The Mana and Shiver use a lot of the same cues and are attractive, whereas the Gladius is a mess, in my opinion, and won't be embrased by the conservative taste of this country.

As a designer I always have to keep in mind when I have crossed the line and used too much style. It's in some ways worse than not using enough.

On top of it the Gladius is weeny. Maybe if it had a big badass engine in it people wouldn't mind it so much.

At least it doesn't look like a harly.

#31 ·
For all of you guys saying flop...

Take look at the cycle buying demographics - women are one of the fasted growing riding groups. I spoke with a Yamaha rep today and asked what the reasoning behind the FZ6R was. I asked, "Why not bring the naked FZ6 from Europe over, price it in the mid $6k range, and throw a full fairing on the FZ6 and price in the mid $7k range?" His response - "The seat on the FZ6R is much narrower, as well as lower. Toss in the adjustable handlebars and you have a bike that's pretty much aimed at women."

Our first FZ6R sale? To a woman (not that this is a bad thing...).

The Gladius has a lower seat height than the SV, and I'd be willing to bet that the seat is narrower. I think it's pretty clear that this bike is aimed largely at the entry level market, and more towards women riders. Whether they'll like the styling is the deal-breaker.

Take a look at naked bike sales too. The faired SV650 far outsells the naked version. Most of the guys on here complaining about the naked SV650 are also the ones complaining about the budget suspension and craving more performance. It's not easy to do this without raising cost and pricing the bike out of the entry-level market. In this respect, the Gladius makes sense.

However, none of this explains why the GSX650F is still around, or why Suzuki, Yamaha, and Honda still have no 250-400 cc entry level sport bike/standard.

By the way, anyone take a look at Honda's unveilings? $14,599 for the DN-01? This further supports my opinion that Honda is the suck.

#33 ·
Take a look at naked bike sales too. The faired SV650 far outsells the naked version. Most of the guys on here complaining about the naked SV650 are also the ones complaining about the budget suspension and craving more performance. It's not easy to do this without raising cost and pricing the bike out of the entry-level market. In this respect, the Gladius makes sense.
It's not just the naked SV guys complaining about the budget suspension. The SVS (and now the SVSF) has the exact same crappy suspension.

As for the Gladius... I'm not a fan - but then, my next bike was never going to be another SV-derivative - not that I have any intention of ditching my SV anytime soon. GREAT bike!

#34 ·
+1 to MotoFusion

I hope the gladius takes off.

For the record, I LOVE my naked '07. I wish the 1000 came in a naked version (I don't even see the 1000 in Canada).

Like it or not, the SV650 is an entry level bike. The way I see it anyways. It's perfect because it's the "do just about everyting right without doing one thing extravagantly." To me, that's the marvel of the SV.

You buy a baseline, and make it your own. I want to tour on the SV for a long time. A few more mods, and I think I may have the perfect tourer for me. And best of all, I will be touring on a standard bike, and won't have to worry about losing my license while enjoying myself.

If you want to tour, you have plenty of options
If you want to race, you have plenty of mods
Want to customize into a cafe, retro, or bobber? well, look at ths SV's of the Month!

It's a shame the SV doesn't seem to be coming back, but who really makes a true naked bike anymore? Especially from the Japanese. The 599 is gone. The yammie offerings are all mini-fairing or full, as far as I know. Kawasaki seems to be leading the pack with the ER6-n and the Versys.

I think the Gladius is an EXCELLENT bike. I really want to see it in person. I think the front headlight might make me puke. Further, I have yet to see a bike with a catalytic converter that looks good.

For the record, I did two decent road trips on my naked SV650 in two months, and I loved every minute of it.

I don't think the gladius will flop. I have too many friends who are looking at Buell Blasts because everything else too tall. It's about time the ladies had bikes targetted to them. It'll make the thursday night hang outs so much better!

I think you nay-sayers are more upset about losing the naked sv (which, as far as I know has yet to be confirmed) than anything. Look at the gladius for what it is. It may be a flop for the majority of the members on this forum, but we're not the target audience for this bike! I know i'm not the target for the gladius, as first, i have a bike, and second, i have a pen!s....

I dunno, why do I feel like just about everyone in this thread has the opposite, and negative opinion? am I missing something?

#35 ·
It's just ugly simple as that. I'd also be curious how they tuned it as it sounds like they neutered it in the description. I could care less whether the SV comes back. I won't ever own another anyway

#41 ·
You continue to argue the aesthetics point but you just hit the nail on the head..."I won't ever own another anyway"

Suzuki isn't trying to sell us SV riders this bike. Why would I ever go buy another SV? I have one and when it's time to upgrade, it will be an upgrade to a non-entry level machine. Why would someone go through what we all seem to go through as far as mods and what not to turn around and buy another newer SV to do it all again? That's Nuckin' Futz.

Suzuki is targeting a totally different market. I think that Gladius looks like from the factory what so many here are trying to acheive with their SV-N's. I think it's a good looking bike and captures well what seems to be selling these days. The exotic look from the ladder frame and all the oblique geometery, I'm guessing this bike will do well. If I had an interest in a nekkid bike, which I don't, I'd gravitate towards that machine for certain.

#36 ·
Yeah that.

It may be the future.

It may weigh 463 lbs less than an F1 car and make eleventybillion HP.

Maybe it even makes grilled cheeses with bacon.

That bike is farkin UGLY!!(feel the powah of the kapsloq).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.