Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Bike feels like its skipping?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  SVHDrider 
#1 ·
So I bought this 03 sv650s from a guy who left to military - was a neighbor of mine..

has 33k miles on it when I bought it and it now has about 36-37..

Today I was doin about 70 on the free way, just kinda crusin - and it felt like the whole bike was wanting to jump off the pavement.. almost like the road was wavy?

So I changed lanes.. and same thing.. So I exited the free way - and I dont really notice / feel it riding between 35-65mph but the moment I hit 70+ the bike just starts kicking again?

I know that my front forks need to be resealed and it feels like the clutch is going out - when I give it throttle it kinda starts to hesitate and then it goes "oh yeah were in gear" and goes :p

So I thought starting here would be a good idea for some opinions because I am about to go take it in for service to see where it stands.. and if I can get a actual 650s riders opinion then itll help me out over this tech im gonna go see at this shop

Thanks

Mike

See less See more
#3 ·
So I bought this 03 sv650s from a guy who left to military - was a neighbor of mine..

has 33k miles on it when I bought it and it now has about 36-37..

Today I was doin about 70 on the free way, just kinda crusin - and it felt like the whole bike was wanting to jump off the pavement.. almost like the road was wavy?

So I changed lanes.. and same thing.. So I exited the free way - and I dont really notice / feel it riding between 35-65mph but the moment I hit 70+ the bike just starts kicking again?

I know that my front forks need to be resealed and it feels like the clutch is going out - when I give it throttle it kinda starts to hesitate and then it goes "oh yeah were in gear" and goes :p

So I thought starting here would be a good idea for some opinions because I am about to go take it in for service to see where it stands.. and if I can get a actual 650s riders opinion then itll help me out over this tech im gonna go see at this shop

Thanks

Mike
Sounds like you answered your question with the forks needing to be resealed. As stated above, you should also check to make sure the wheels are balanced correctly.

As for the clutch, before replacing, you may want to make sure it's adjusted correctly. How much free play in the lever is there?

#6 ·
There really isnt much free play in the clutch lever.. If anything its more like a delay?

And today - I was riding across town for a job interview and I notice that normally when I ride in 3rd gear at 40-45mph.. the vibration of the bike feels like its trying harder then ever to keep it there.. so i either slow down or shift into 4th gear to get rid of it.. but then as i steady at 55-65 in 4th.. same issue..

I made a few phone calls around the valley to get price quotes and its pretty outrageous :p

Mike

#5 ·
Most likely you need a new set of tires, and there may be other issues as mentioned above.

Run you hand over the tread - is it wavy and cupped? If so they're junk, and you need to at least change-out the fork oil before fitting new ones. If the tires are original, they're junk by now anyway.

Tires will last about 4 or 5 years tops, then they become hard and dry - doesn't really matter how many miles are on them.

Jay

#8 ·
the pulling from side to side could be....

Tire pressure, what is it set at?
Steering stem bearing rusted or have a flat spot. Put the side stand down and put a jack under the exhaust. Jack up the front then see if the steering is free from side to side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.