Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Hard starting, spark plugs or valves?

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Vlasic 
#1 ·
My bike has trouble starting, especially in the mornings. By trouble I mean that I have to hold down the starter button for about 3-5 seconds. Sometimes it will just crank for a while and eventually catch and sometimes Ill crank it and it will catch but then struggle for a bit before idling correctly. Very often I will start up the bike and during start up it will choke and struggle a bit and once it gets to idle the red light will be blinking with FI on the screen. I have not pulled the code when that comes up but I am assuming that it is a misfire code from the bike misfireing during the hard start up.

The bike has just under 11k miles, I do regular maintenance on the chain and oil changes but I have not yet changed the spark plugs or adjusted the vales. How often are you suppose to adjust the vales and change the spark plugs? Could my hard starts be the result of old plugs or valves that need adjusting?

#3 ·
+1 Get the code first. There is no misfire code. If your FI light is burning you have other problems.

CODE MALFUNCTION PART REMARKS
COO None No defective part

C12 Crankshaft position sensor (CKPS) Pick-up coil signal, signal generator
C13 Intake air position sensor (ZAPS)
C14 Throttle position sensor (TPS)
C15 Engine coolant temperature sensor (ECTS)
C21 Intake air temperature sensor (IATS)
C23 Tip over sensor (TOS)
C24 Ignition signal #1 (IG coil #1) For #1 cylinder
C25 Ignition signal #2 (IG coil #2) For #2 cylinder
C28 Secondary throttle valve actuator (STVA)
C29 Secondary throttle position sensor (STPS)
C31 Gear position signal (GP switch)
C32 Fuel injector signal #1 For #1 cylinder
C33 Fuel injector signal #2 For #2 cylinder
C41 Fuel pump control system (FP control system) Fuel pump relay
C42 Ignition switch signal (IG switch signal) Anti-theft
C49 PAIR control solenoid valve

#4 ·
I looked up how to get the bike in dealer mode and pull the code but Im not sure how Im suppose to do it. I understand that I have to put a wire or paper clip in the dealer mode connector but, I insert the wire while the bike is off and then turn the bike back on correct? The FI light doesnt come on every time I start the bike, only sometimes. Most of the time when I turn the bike off and then back on the code is gone. I tried to pull the code right now and got -c00.

#5 ·
I looked up how to get the bike in dealer mode and pull the code but Im not sure how Im suppose to do it. I understand that I have to put a wire or paper clip in the dealer mode connector but, I insert the wire while the bike is off and then turn the bike back on correct? The FI light doesnt come on every time I start the bike, only sometimes. Most of the time when I turn the bike off and then back on the code is gone. I tried to pull the code right now and got -c00.
When you turn the bike off you will reset the system. Put it in dealermode when the light is burning without turning the ignition off or leave it in while starting.. The c00 code = no malfunction

#7 ·
You haven't changed the plugs in 11K miles? Do that now. You're late. See if that helps.

Valves aren't the first place I'd look for hard starting issues. In your case I'd suspect spark as the #1 problem.

You might try running some Sea Foam in the next tank of gas, especially if the bike is stored outside.

You should also look to see how dirty the plug caps are. I've seen caps that arced due to an accumulation of road grime.

Air filter?

Start with the obvious, basic maintenance.

#8 ·
The bike has just under 11k miles, I do regular maintenance on the chain and oil changes but I have not yet changed the spark plugs or adjusted the vales.?

you have ignored recommended tuneup maintenance
imho thats's all you will; need to do

plugs
air filter
tps adjustment
throttle body syncronization

your starter will thank you for keeping up with ALL recommended maintenance

don't worry avout valves until 15k

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.