Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Wheel Bearing Removal

16K views 46 replies 20 participants last post by  colbyattack 
#1 ·
Any ideas for pulling front or rear wheel bearings without the Suzuki tool? I'm replacing the rear bearings on an SV1K. Thought I could gently tap out from the opposite side by using the middle spacer, but can't get enough of a lip showing for my punch or drift pin. What's everybody else do?

#4 ·
this one?

View more Pittsburgh items
Blind Hole Bearing Puller

Designed especially for pilot bearings and other jobs that require an internal puller.

3 lb. slide hammer with T-handle for secure grip
Chrome-plated shaft for smooth operation
Four collets: 3/8" to 1/2", 9/16" to 11/16", 5/8" to 1", 1" to 1-1/4"
Blow mold case

Weight: 7.6 lbs.

ITEM 95987-2VGA

$39.99 Email link to a friend

#5 ·
Never had a problem using a punch and hammer. Don't hit the spacer, run the punch down through the spacer and hit the inner race on the bearing directly. Replace with new bearings.

#6 ·
yeah - I was thinking after looking at a couple other forums that I might be able to actually hit the backside of the bearing, rather than the spacer. I didn't think about moving the spacer out of the way so I can get my drift pin onto the backside of the bearing I'm trying to tap out. I'll give it a shot 2nite.

Thanks!

Nd

#7 ·
You posted the right bearing puller. Works much better than a drift and hammer. Though even using the bearing puller, you will still need to replace the bearings.

I did my rear wheel bearings both ways. The drift and punch took quite some time (maybe 25 minutes to get out). The bearing puller took maybe 3 minutes, with no heat.

The tool was worth the $30 (I got it on sale). Also, in the latest Cycle World, Harbor Freight has a 20% off one item coupon.

#8 ·
Give it the learn with a punch and hammer. Take you about 15 minutes on your first wheel, and about 2 minutes for every other. Give the spacer a nudge, then bash bash bash :D The opposite side, well, you won't need any instructions on that one!

Never reuse the bearings... a quality double sealed bearing is about NZD$6, so I'm guessing that you're looking at about USD$2 each in The States :)

#9 ·
Easy as pie :) - tapped 'em out with the hammer and drift (no heat needed), last nite I was trying to knock 'em out by hitting the opposite end of the spacer and kept loosing the edge. If I can find that HF coupon I may go ahead and pick up a bearing puller, "just in case." Got the bearings for $9 each, may have to go to Suzuki for the seal though.

Appreciate everyones' suggestions and advice!

Nd

#11 ·
I'm sure you can get them from your local Suzuki dealer, or the online Suzuki stores (like Oneida) or BikeBandit, etc.. I used the part number off the actual bearing and called my local bearing distributor and he had them in stock, the number off the seal wasn't a "good" number for him so I need to check the actual dimensions and see what he has, otherwise I'll need to get the seal from Suzuki if he can't find it for me.

#13 ·
#22 ·
You all seem like you must have good luck getting bearings out. Seems like everytime I try it with hammer an screwdriver the bearing so bad that excess sideways pressure has outer ring dam near locked in place. I end up knocking inner ring out the balls fall out then it a pita to get outer ring out. Last time I changed wheel bearings on my dirtbike I was really wishing I would of bought tool. Definitely getting this next time around http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item5ae573c178&vxp=mtr

#26 ·
That's the point. If your changing bearings just to be safe or you have an ocd they ya they'll slip right out. If the bearings were badly corroded an warped then there not gona come out easy. And yes it makes perfect sense I hit like a girl therefore when I hit the bearing the insides exploded. And yes imdying my DB the bearings that were in there weren't even sealed an the week before I took it for a long muddy wet ride an they were destroyed to the point I had to beat the rear axle out an it slightly mushroomed the axle on the thread side and I had to order new one.

For the record I've been in construction for over 10 years, prolly swung a hammer over 50000 times in my life. I'm can hit nail on the head 99 out of 100 times and really no way to gauge hammer hit Psi. But I'm sure I can hit harder than your average man.

#29 ·
+1 to who ever said the trick to getting these out is NOT to hit like a girl .. LOL

After 10 min of love tapping it because I was skurred to damage the wheel, I finally got annoyed enough to bang the crap out of it. Once I got the bearings out .. its quite a good bit of metal there .. you wouldn't hurt it at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.