Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Super Cheap Gen2 Track Bike

4K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  snowdave 
#1 ·
I recently picked up a 2005 SV650 for just a few hondos since it was crashed, the seller couldn't get the engine running and decided to swap the title for a junk certificate. I'd say they were stupid on the last point, but it is law in some states based on repair estimates for resellers.

If someone has interest in copart or crashedtoys, I can likely put together another thread on the experience.

So, what was wrong:
Dented tank
Non-running engine
No gauges
Unknown mileage
Smashed radiator
Bent handlebars
Cracked front fender
Scratched all over
Broken turn signals
Smashed headlight & mounts
Bent shifter
Cracked front master cylinder
Missing side covers
Junk Certificate (getting a street title would be VERY difficult)

I paid my money and drove a couple hours to pick it up. I was pleasantly surprised when getting it as I notice it had power, was not missing the ECU and the clutch cut-out was unplugged. I not only had hopes of an easy fix, but perhaps even putting it on the street.

Once home, the teardown began, initially to get the bike running while researching title options. Plugging in the clutch cut-out resulted in the starter turning.....hope! No fuel pump noise, it too was unplugged. Now I was suspicious as this had to be on purpose. Sure enough, there was surface rust in the tank. $10 of vinegar, a couple days and a pump cleanout later it fired right up and ran great. Next was driving, so all controls came off and a $20 set of Chinese clip-ons were ordered. Still waiting on these, but I expect it will drive fine. I bent the radiator back to something near a rectangle and think it will work fine for now as it does not leak.

In parallel, I fully researched the title options and although there are some (a titled frame, VT registration in 3 years, states that allow rebuilds, states that don't issue junk certs, etc) I decided I would just continue with my initial plan....a super cheap track bike.

That brings me to today. I removed the tail section so I could take the lights off and am left with 3 holes (2 for tail lights and 1 for the fender). I plan to mold some fiberglass to the openings. Since I already had the material, I only needed $4 worth of resin hardener. If this works, I may even make a rear seat cowl....heck, it's free at this point.

So, cost to date:
Bike - $400
Fees - $280
Clip-ons - $20
Vinegar - $10
Hardener - $4
Total - $714 (my labor is free :)

I plan to use this thread to document further work and hopefully track days. I would love to hear any ideas on ways to keep this project as cheap as possible.

I have ~1 year until I get to the track as I have a personal weight loss goal before I go buy or even rent leathers. I am well on my way from training for harescrambles, but realistically this bike won't see the track until 2018.

See less See more
#2 ·
A few bits of progress in the last couple days:

1. Clip-ons arrived. No complaints for $20.
2. I decided on a Chinese Speedo ($33):

3. I am nearly ready to lay the glass
4. The front master cylinder and clutch adjustment dial may need some TLC

Grand Total - $747

#4 ·
I found this site and install instructions online:

Not a link............img.banggood.com/file/products/20150226035204English Manual of SKU192807.doc

Sorry, no link as my post count is not high enough yet ;-)

I have also seen a few threads on installing them that did look like a PITA. As you said, I only really care about RPM and maybe a shift light, so I am hoping I can muddle through it. A Suzuki dash would cost 5X as much as it seems they contain the odometer and can be used to fraudulently lower mileage (hence the high price).

#5 ·
It's going to be a track bike. Either run without a cluster or find one with missing segments. Mine hasn't crashed very well so about the only segments that still light up consistently is the temp.

I personally wouldn't bother with a Chinese cluster. When the bike goes Baap Baap Baap Baap as you accelerate, it's time to shift.

#6 ·
Also, before you go balls in with this build, maybe you should consider just buying a track bike out right form the race forums, like 13X forum. The money you will spend on the bike, you will be able to get a much better sorted out vehicle. If you spent $2000 on your bike you could get a bike with $4/$5 grand of upgrades there... I did two builds before I decided, I would never build a track bike again...

#7 ·
Also, before you go balls in with this build, maybe you should consider just buying a track bike out right form the race forums, like 13X forum.
I completely agree with you. A fairly well sorted/upgraded track bike can be had for $2-3k from what I have seen. The costs of tires, suspension, fairings, etc will exceed that in no time.

Having said that, my goal here is to take a very cheap bike and enjoy some track time with it. If I really enjoy it, I will likely look at trading up. If not, my investment will still be pretty minimal. This is exactly why I am looking for budget suggestions on track prep. Besides, I like to tinker. Think there are at least 4 bikes in pieces in my garage at any given time.

#8 ·
As long as you dont invest in expensive aftermarket suspension and the like then theres no reason why you wont end up with a cheap track hack. Esp if you are new to track riding?
I'd spend some dosh at the end on some good quality fresh rubber and a set of sintered front brake pads.
Whats the exhaust system like and the chain and sprockets?

#9 ·
Whats the exhaust system like and the chain and sprockets?
The bike is in surprisingly good shape. Tires are new, chain & sprockets look good. Even has a Lithium battery.

The exhaust is completely stock and looks like it weighs a ton. I have reasonable fab abilities so I may see if I can cobble up something lighter, and perhaps higher. I need to be careful about upgrades that will require refueling though. I have not researched what is available to tune the EFI (tuneboy or similar?), but did read it is a pretty basic system so I would imagine it won't adjust for exhaust changes.

#11 ·
I don't think tuning the stock ECU is at all common. Most people go piggyback (Power Commander).

#12 ·
Too bad, I found once you had the proper connector, it was relatively easy for both my Ducati and Triumph. Seems there is some support for Suzuki (ECU Editor-->Woolich Racing), but the connectors cost nearly as much as a piggyback. If I decide to modify the muffler, I may look into making a cable, but I know from experience this is a dark rabbit hole to go down ;-)

#13 ·
New plan on the tail section. Instead of laying up fiberglass, which I have never done before, I am going to try some 3d printed panels for the gaps. I got the idea from the thread for removing the grab rail and filling the void with 3d printed parts. Since my son and I built an el-cheapo 3d printer, it gives us another project to play with.

#14 ·
I bought a clutch cable adjuster for $6 from eBay. Costs are up to $749 total. I have also reconsindered the tail section again.....and I think it will be covered with yellow duct tape :)

#15 ·
Duct tape looks terrible....but it works. I bolted up the tail, filled the front brake master cylinder and ran around the block a few times. After airing up the tires (duh), it has all 6 gears and seems to steer and brake straight, WIN! The front master cylinder leaks like a sieve and I still need a solution for the radiator. Seems the radiator will cost a minimum of $80 and the master cylinder I will have to do some hunting for, would love a radial one. The good/bad news is that I am only 6 lbs away from my goal weight, so perhaps I can get to the track this summer. I also have a lead on a titled frame, so the bike could double as the wife's street bike.

#16 ·
Having fun playing with the Chinese speedo today. Two parts that won't automatically work are fuel & temp. I am going to make a fancy double-relay to drive the fuel gauge off of the two thermistors on the fuel pump. Should be pretty slick. Hopefully the temp is as simple as grabbing it straight from the sensor as I don't want to decode the data stream for EFI (which includes the temp).

#17 ·
So, how much do you weight? This is to get you info in cheap upgrades to the suspension that will make a world of difference. what kind of tires are on the bike? A set od SS braided lines for around $100 will help braking a lot along with some good pads. At the end of the day, tires, suspension and brakes are the most important items for track use.

#18 ·
I am currently 206. I started at 245 in March and have lost 39 lbs training for hare scramble racing. My goal is/was 200 before heading to the track or buying leathers. I still have 3 more races this summer so I am starting to think 180 might be do-able.

I'll check on the tires, but they look like brand new street tires.

Sent from my ME371MG using Tapatalk

#19 ·
One "setback" and one step forward.

The "setback" was magically getting the bike plated. The wife really pushed for this since she is newly licensed and really likes the SV more than the other bikes we have. So naturally I spent yesterday putting all the parts back on that I had removed in prepping for the track :-( I am now into the bike for nearly $1100 and will need to buy or fix a few more items for street duty. Updates to follow.

The step forward is the Chinese speedo, commonly called SS182. It is 90% wired and working so far. Essentially only fuel and temp are not "plug & play". Once I fab a bracket, I will do some road testing as I suspect the tach & speedo are not calibrated yet, but they do seem to work.

#22 ·
Chinese radiator and handlebars have arrived, but it looks like it will be a few days before I can get back to this project. Just spent a week dirt biking in the Rockies and I have lots of other repairs/projects ahead of the SV.

#23 ·
Runs, drives, plated, handlebars, etc. Worked fine for a few trips around the block.

I still need to mount the speedometer and it will be a while before I setup the gear indicator, temp sensor and fuel gauge.

My only concern is a bit of a knocking noise under modest acceleration. There is no noise when I just rev the engine, only when riding. I will have to research if this is common for SVs or I have a problem.

#24 ·
Filled it up and went for a 10 mile ride before getting a tornado warning alert. Everything seems fine, I am even thinking the noise is normal for this engine. Good handling, brisk acceleration, nice brakes. Just a few more tweaks needed on the speedo for now.

#25 ·
Weeeellll, it was a short love affair. A local kid rode off on my SV yesterday. Turns out a track bike was just not in the cards for me. Pretty sure he will use it for street duty...he had a pretty big grin after a short test drive. I am signing off, perhaps if he joins and has questions, I may be back, but otherwise, it is onto other endeavors. Thanks everyone.

#28 ·
Not too far off, a broken back from a careless driver put me in a motorcycle black (hell) hole for quite a while. I am just coming back to it now and as the number of bikes keeps dwindling, it briefly brings my attention back as they sell. I think I spent more time wiring a custom arduino to install a speedo than I ever did getting the bike track ready. Didn't seem to warrant a new thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.