Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Best Motor Mods for SV650???

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  RogueShoten 
#1 ·
I recently got a great deal on a new 2006 SV650 Standard. This is my first street bike and I love it. This winter I plan on doing some mods to the motor. Was thinking of having the dealer remap it and a different exhaust. Basically I want to get the most out of the bike without breaking the bank. Would like to get 80-85hp out of the motor with a great v-twin sound. Thanks for your suggestions. :thumbsup:

#4 ·
Intake cam swap?? Cost?? What kind of intake cam??
What is the difference between having the engine remapped by the dealer ($35) and putting in a power commander ($335)??
As you can tell this is all new to me. What do you all think the best pipe/exhaust is?? I believe a stock bike has 73hp so is it even possible to gain 7-12 hp doing minor engine mods?? Thanks for your help.

#5 ·
From this site: http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prods36.html

Take from it what you will.

Finally, we added a Leo Vinci exhaust system.

Exhausts on the SV don't normally add 10 HP - but the combination of a well designed exhaust cam + a well designed race exhaust will deliver better total power than either of the single items would, used individually.

75.9 True HP (maybe 84 to 79 dynojet hp)

25% HP Improvement with BETTER low, mid and topend than the stock bike!

#7 ·
If this is all new to you then consider a fork spring and emulator installation first. About the cost of a PCIII or aftermarket can and much more effective in making the bike perform. Then do the rear shock.

The SV has more than adequate power for a new rider. I've been riding for over 45 years and find the power and power band more than adequate and perfect for the street. It's as fast as a Z06 Corvette, that's fast enough.

The suspension does have faults. If you want a really great bike do the suspension first. You'll be amazed.

#8 ·
Thanks everyone for the help. What the hell is a emulator. :confused1:
I guess I will keep it simple. This is my first street bike. I am thinking of doing the engine remaping, a slip on can, K&N air filter, and some of the suggested suspension mods. I guess there is a difference in dyno hp and true hp. Cycle World and Two Wheels Only has the SV 650 listed at around 70 plus hp. Is a great bike either way. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

#12 ·
Jan Zoellner said:
That´s like 400$ for -3 to +4 (maybe) hp increase. Not very cost effective, and that´s not even counting the dyno runs and labor for fine tuning. :)

Ciao
Jan
+1

$400 bucks will probably get you a set of cams, installed. Much better HP to $ ratio. If you can do the larbor yourself, probably cost you 250, or so, in parts.

#13 ·
To sum it all up, it's like this: the SV isn't a really good engine for modification. It's already very well engineered, so there aren't any places where changing parts, settings or exhaust/intake will improve the power much. Even then, some very respected people have said that doing so will also cost you reliability. But, if the goal is to go faster, then there is a lot you can do, with the suspension. Where Suzuki really did a great job with the engine, they skimped on the suspension, badly.

Traxxion Dynamics (http://www.traxxion.com/, and an SVR supporter, I do believe) do a wonderful job with the suspension work, and even have an online configurator to help you figure out what you need for what you want. You're looking at ~$2K to go pretty much the whole way (if you go with the uber-options, and for less you can still do EXTREMELY well), but the praise I've seen heaped onto the results seems well worth it. This will be doubly true if your body weight (wearing riding gear) is in excess of 170 lbs.; the Suzuki is sprung for a Japanese person, apparently, with the resulting drop in suspension when you put a big gaijin on board :)

Check out Traxxion, and go to the "Virtual Max" link. It's a great place to start, since it'll walk you through what the options are for your bike, and discuss all the factors that go into suspension in the first place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.