Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

home made tire changing stand and No-Mar mount/demount bar

24K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Snake2715 
#1 ·
I decided to start changing my own tires and after reading many threads on here, watching youtube videos and other research I decided to get the No-Mar mount/demount bar and make my own stand.

I started off by ordering a new pilot power 2ct, angled valve stems and this tool from No-Mar.

For the tire changer I decided to take few idea from different changers and make one that goes in the reciever hitch on my truck for stability so I didn't need to have a separate stand.

basic idea after cutting the 2" square tubing

flap discs on the angle grinder makes smoothing out the edges and taking the paint off the areas that were going to be welded a breeze. One lesson learned, wait for the steel shop to be open instead of using painted fence posts from home depot. I was trying to be "thrifty" and use some of the metal I already had left over in the garage from other projects.

The arms were cut at 30 degrees and welded to the main arm so there would be 60 degrees between each one.

Cleaned up the welds on the top side

I welded a small piece of the tubing on top of the 2 arms and cut up a metal stake to make the "claws" that would hold the rim. I know, I know my welds aren't the greatest, I was playing around with a few different settings and techniques. Having a few beers probably didn't help ;D

The third mounting claw I made into a sleeve so it could slide over the end of the main arm so it could clamp the rim. You can see the pieces that i welded onto the bottom of the sliding clamp and the main arm to clamp down to keep the rim locked in.

I covered the claws in duct tape to keep them from scrathing the rim.

I quickly threw togeather a bead breaker out of a couple 2x4s after trying to do it with a big clamp and failing. Eventually I'll make a nicer one out of steel, but it actually worked pretty well.

After breaking the bead I used 5/8" all thread throught the axle hole with nuts and washers on both sides to hold it in place as a pivot point for the No-mar tool. I put PVC pipe over the all thread to keep from scratching the tool. basically nut/washer/wheel/washer/nut/washer/PVC/washer/nut. the quick clamp in the back is to help hold the tire bead into the valley.

I was starting to loose daylight so the pics were getting crappy. This is how is looked mounted in the reciever hitch.

the new tire all mounted up

I tried to get a quick video of the actual tire change but it didn't come out that great between the low light and the nieghbor kids cruizing by on their hot wheels :p. But it went very easy for my first time changing a tire myself.

taking the old tire off I missed the lower bead for a second, but other then that it came off with very little force.

demount video

Mounting the new one got a tiny bit tight while trying to get the last part of the bead on the rim but I'm pretty sure that is normal from what i have read/seen.

mount video

One of these days when I'm not as rushed I will make another one of these that will be more adjustable (and a little cleaner) so I can do different size wheels.

See less See more
#4 ·
After seeing a few thread talking about the No-Mar tire changing bar not being as easy as it looks I figured I would update this thread. I did another change today and got a better video. This is only about the 3rd time I have used it and need to make some improvements to the rim holder to keep it from spinning, but it shows how easy it is.

Removing tire from the old rim.

Putting the tire back on the new rim.

#9 ·
I could take some measurements if there are any in particular you want but for the most part I just roughed it. With the one side being adjustable to tighten the rim down there isn't a need to be super accurate. I'll probably make a newer one this winter with some better tubing and add a metal bead breaker and better clamps into the design.

#10 ·
man, that is awesome! Definitely wanna do something like that. I'll have to pay a welder though since I don't have my own. I was wondering...why don't you make a metal bead breaker that mounts to the top of the arm of your rig? Just put a receiver welded to the top with holes and a pin so you can take it off when you're done.

#11 ·
That is in the plans soon, the wood bead breaker I made was a last minute temporary solution just to get buy. At the time I made it the metal shop was closed and home depot was open, so I had to make due with what I could buy there :p.

Once i have time I will rebuild the whole thing out of smaller but stronger square tubing and have a bead breaker that can be mounted on the arm just like you descibed.

#15 ·
You don't have to, allot of people that do their own tires don't. I didn't on the first couple I changed and didn't really notice anything. I ended up buying a static balancing tool that works with my rear spool stand. You can kind of see it in this pic on top of the small pallet. It just replaces the spool holders with bearings and has a bar with cones to hold the wheel.

I was using it here to see if my old wheel was bent.

#18 ·
Measurements for which thing? For the tire changer I just measured the outside lip of the rim and just worked off that, I didn't do much precise measuring on this one just kind of slapped it together as I went.

I got the static balancer from power.freaks on ebay balancer adapter

One catch to the balancer is it uses your existing spool stand :sbmfacepalm:. I happen to have a 2nd rear stand that I got in a deal so it works for me, other wise you would have to use something else to support your bike while you balance the tire.

#21 ·
It's been a while and I have kicked around a few ideas for a better version of my tire changer. I finally broke down and decided to buy the harbor freight changer and mod it to my liking. It starts out as a decent base and it would have cost me more in parts to build the working parts of it then to just spend the money on it since it was on sale an I used a coupon. I will be changing up the way it clamps onto the tire to use some No-Mar posi clamp spools. This would make it easier for me to make adapters for anyone else that wants something similar instead of making entire changers and dealing with shipping something that large.

I've had this sitting in my garage for a while and finally put it together tonight since i have a new front tire to put on soon.

I have to get my regulator back from a friend before I start doing any welding, but I will update as soon as I make some progress.

#23 ·
Made a little progress tonight. I remove the arm and center pin thing because it was simply too big to fit inside in the bearings of the wheels, plus being that only one of the three side is adjustable it is pointless to be centered on the rod. Instead I will you the threaded rod with PVC pipe over it like in my original charger.

Test fit my old stock SV rim in the changer to get some measurements.

Then I cut off the part on the tire changer that is "supposed" to hold the rim and stripped some of the paint to prep for welding.

Cut some base plates that will go on top of the mounting points

I skipped a few step in between pics but this was the first one, welded and mocked up. I haven't welded anything for a bit so my welds were a little messy until I got the settings dialed in.

Made some scuff proof pads for the top of the mounts out of an old rubbermaid tote lid.

Added those on top of the mounts and used the NoMar rim holders to hold them in place.

Only thing left is to clean up some welds, paint to prevent rust and build a new base stand. The base stand that harbor freight makes that is in the picture is too high, not very well constructed and need a big pallet or pieces of wood to be stable. I'm going to make a hitch mount similar to my original changer to mount the top part on.

I'll be changing my tire with it tomorrow before is take it apart and paint everything, so we will see how well it works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.