Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Ducati Hypermotard 796

14K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  randomSV650 
#1 ·
I'm thinking real hard about this bike. My only concern is coming off the sv1000 will I be disappointed in the power. Ducati claims 81 bhp @ 55ft lbs. I love the down low power of the sv but I'm really thinking about switching it up with this motard. What do you guys think?

See less See more
#2 ·
How much does it weigh? For someone my size, it looks too heavy to be that much fun, but not quite on par with the bigger motards (big KTMs, some of the BMW's, aprilias, etc).

Looks wise, it's much better looking than the bigger version, which I think looks a little bloated.

#3 ·
I rode the 1100 and LOVED it. I had ridden the SV1000 and have the 650 but nothing compares to the feel of a Duc. That said, most Duc dealers will offer demos of the bikes or have gatherings at different times to demos their models. Just looking at the spec sheet, there doesnt seem to be a huge power difference between the 1100 and 796, however I would want to give it a ride and not go off paper figures. I'll bet the power on your 1000 is going to be a lot stronger but the Duc is going to handle worlds better. Its also a different style of riding where you are almost over the handle bars and, at least for me, inspired much more aggressive riding. Just make sure you check insurance and maintenance if you are serious...

Here is the review I wrote on the Hyper...

#9 ·
I rode the 1100 and LOVED it. I had ridden the SV1000 and have the 650 but nothing compares to the feel of a Duc. That said, most Duc dealers will offer demos of the bikes or have gatherings at different times to demos their models. Just looking at the spec sheet, there doesnt seem to be a huge power difference between the 1100 and 796, however I would want to give it a ride and not go off paper figures. I'll bet the power on your 1000 is going to be a lot stronger but the Duc is going to handle worlds better. Its also a different style of riding where you are almost over the handle bars and, at least for me, inspired much more aggressive riding. Just make sure you check insurance and maintenance if you are serious...

Here is the review I wrote on the Hyper...
I think if you rode both bikes one after another you would like the 1100 more, just having that extra torque and hp = more fun!

I like the 1100 more personally.

The wheelbase is the same. The 796 is about 1" lower seat height, 13 lbs. less, 14 hp less and 20 ft. lbs. less torque. And around $2K less.

#4 ·
Here is my "too sense" worth. Find a way to ride it first. I got to test ride two versions of the Ducati GT1000. I personally did not like the engine characteristics and they are 1000's.I desperately wanted to like them but I would swear it "felt" like they had less power than the SV650. I understand the 796 will be completely different but my only point is, ride it if you can. My local dealer has a complete test ride fleet so it should be possible in theory. I suspect you will greatly miss the power of the SV1000.

I want a 796 Hypo as well as the 696 Monster but have not had the opportunity to ride either.

#7 ·
Just read a little on this bike in the new Motor Cyclist. Looks like a lot of bike for the money, even though it's still an even 10 grand before all the fees and crap. IMO, it's worth it over the 1100 for the cost savings as long as the lower spec brakes and various components feel good enough for you. Compared to an SV, the Brembos ought to be all good. Have you considered the Dorsoduro or the KTMs any?

#8 ·
I rode an 1100 Hypermotard and hated it. I really wanted to like it, but absolutely hated it. The riding angle was weird. I couldn't get comfortable. The power delivery was snatchy. The power was on par with the 650, maybe a tad more. BTW, the tank is tiny and it really limits the range. The same I tested the hypermotard, I also tested a 1100 Monster -- same meh engine.

As someone above suggested, demo a KTM Superduke or SM. Admittedly, I'm not a huge fan of naked bikes, but the Superduke is indescribably fun.

It does have a snatchy throttle, but its not that bad to me. Anyway, that can be cured with a SO and remap. It also has a pretty expensive maintenance schedule.

It is the best handling, most exhilarating bike I've ever ridden. So, much so I had to have one. And, like I said above, I don't like naked bikes. You think about where you want it to go, and it goes there.

Don't get too caught up with the MSRP. There are some crazy deals out there. You could likely pick one up for less than the little Hypermotard. Insurance isn't bad either.

#16 ·
Distance isn't a problem...you just have to be on the right kind of roads.

You grow tired of it pretty quickly if your droning along the highway and getting beat up by the wind.

I could ride hundreds of miles without being bothered on back roads. Even though the seat is like a 2X4.

#17 ·
Oh and OP - I see you're concerned about the power. Ducati is good about advertising their power a bit inflated. No doubt it's at the crank.

Anyway, they claim the 696 makes 80 hp. I remember Cycle World dynoing the 696 in the low to mid 60s... around the same numbers they return for an SV/Gladius. So that 81 hp you're seeing, well you may want to do a little research as to what it actually makes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.