Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Single Sided Swing Arm Conversion Thread.

105K views 144 replies 32 participants last post by  LSCYCLING 
#1 ·
Since everyone always has questions about the SSSA conversion. I will just type as much as I know about it and when i find new things about it I will just add it to the first post. Can I get this to be a sticky?

If people could get me some info and post it it would help.

Things I dont know:

Pivot width of the 2nd gen SV650 swing arm and SV1000 swing arm.

Distance in between swingarm pivot point on the frame.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Swing arm Specs:

90-90 VFR750
shock linkage mount is two lobes
pivot width: 242

------

94-97 VFR750
shock linkage mount is one lobe
pivot width: 227

------

hawk gt650
no linkage, shock bolts to top of swingarm
pivot width: 235

-----

RC30
shock linkage mount is two lobes
pivot width: 235

-----

MV Agusta f4
*unkown linkage*
pivot width: 255

------

Triumph
*unknown linkge*
pivote width: 285

-----

I would stay away from the new VFR800 and all ducati swingarms becuse they do not attach to frame. The trimph sssa's are way to wide for a SV650 frame.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Exhaust:

If you want to get a SSSA, you need either to;

A: Get a custom header
B: have the swingarm machined through for more room so the stock header will fit through.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Application
90-93 VFR swing on a 1st gen SV650.

The SSSA will NOT fit into the 1st gen frame with out modification of the frame.

You need to take the "boss" on each side all the way down to the edge of the frame. After you do that, you can use the stock VFR spacers, but the right one must be ground down about 1 to 2 mm for a nice fit in the frame. You can use either the stock SV pivot bolt or the VFR bolt.

Your front and rear sprockets will be off about alil less then 1/4 of an inch. Get a spacer to put on the inside of your front sprocket to move it out.

The 90-93 VFR has an offset shock just like the SV650. So for link, use the Stock VFR linkage with SV650 dog bones. You will need 3/4 to 1" shorter dogbones then stock. (I just drilled new holes).

You would want to take the shock mount off of the stock SV swingarm and weld it to the SV frame. You do this becuase you are reversing the linkage.

Then get custom exhaust made and thats about it. It's alot of work and $$$ to just gain some looks and alot of weight, but i like it.

Application
94-97 VFR swing on a 1st gen SV650.

I will write this up soon.

Application
SSSA on 2nd Gen SV650

If anyone would like to donate me their 2nd gen for a month or so and give me what ever SSSA they want on it. I will put it on for no charge just because i want the knowledge. You just have to buy all the parts.

Application
SSSA on a SV1000.

Complications: Exhaust and Shock are opposite that of the 650. Shock is on the right, exhaust on the left.

There for on the FRAME, the shock mount must be relocated to the center and exhaust will have to be routed around the shock then down to the right of the swingarm...

I would assume that the 94-97 VFR sssa or the Triumph may be the best options for this application.

If anyone would like to donate me their SV1000 for a month or so and give me what ever SSSA they want on it. I will put it on for no charge just because i want the knowledge. You just have to buy all the parts.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I will finish this tomorrow...

See less See more
#6 ·
This is your most useful thread to date ;)

Pivot width on the 2nd gen 1000 and 650 should be the same but the 1000 has the shock offset to the other side (I think) because of routing the dual exhaust. They should be close to the 1st gen width but someone needs to measure to be sure.

#7 ·
I just bought a spare Sv1K swing arm....I'll get a measurement on its width sometime this week.

Are you taking your measurements with the bearing caps on or off? Meaning, if off, just end of metal to end of metal.

#8 ·
I just bought a spare Sv1K swing arm....I'll get a measurement on its width sometime this week.

Are you taking your measurements with the bearing caps on or off? Meaning, if off, just end of metal to end of metal.
metal to metal.

I stopped in at the suzuki dealer to get look at the 1000 swingarm.

Shock is on the right, exhaust on the left.

you what i got out of that was, If you wanna do SSSA on 1000 you need to;

1: relocate shock mount on the frame to the center.
2: one off exhaust is needed.

#9 ·
^^^^ yeah, very few realize that the 650 and 1K have their exhaust and shock locations opposite of each other.

I have no wish to do a SSSA on my SV1k, but will on a bike project down the road.

#10 ·
^^^^ yeah, very few realize that the 650 and 1K have their exhaust and shock locations opposite of each other.

I have no wish to do a SSSA on my SV1k, but will on a bike project down the road.
the sv1000 swingarm looks really good, no need for the SSSA. although it would be some different.

I would really like to see someone put one on a 2nd gen. Dont make me buy another SV just so someone does it.

#15 ·
Two plus sides to the SSSA
1:
It looks really cool.

2:
WAY WAY WAY easier to work on the rear end and tighten chain.

The SSSA was developed by honda for racing and pitt stops.

Ducati perfected it with the one nut and made the swing arm 10x lighter then honda's.

#25 ·
they make it rear stands for SSSA's.

God****** Swiest, why the hell am I watching ebay auctions for a '96 VFR SSSA and 4bolt 5spoke wheel?
Because you know you want it.

LS, dont put words in my mouth. But I can try to in 6 hours. :p

#27 ·
I will add everything to the wiki once I get everything on here to a point I am happy with.

Major Drawbacks of the SSSA is weight. It adds alot of it, I would guess at least 20 lbs. The VFR swingarms are not light, 25lbs without the ecentric(rear hub), which is about 17lbs. VFR wheels also weigh alot more the stock SV wheels. But you can use Triumph Ecentrics in the VFR swingarm which then allows you to use any "one nut" rear wheel which are much much lighter then Stock VFR rims.

Benefits: Looks really good and it is much easier to work on the rear end of the bike.

I am looking into buying some cheap crap from HF....including a mig, and misc metal working stuff.. That may give you a hint on what im will be working on over the summer... :)

#30 ·
Yea yea yea, we'll see. There's only 1 VFR SSSA up right now on egay.
If you are gonna get a 4th gen (94-97) VFR swingarm, just letting you know you have to get the linkage mount on the swingarm relocated on the swingarm. They are not offest like the 3rd gen (90-93). The plus side of going with the 4th gen VFR swingarm is that they are more narrow then the 3rd gen so no frame modification is required. Sprockets may not line up perfect so either the inside of the frame will need to be machined down or some kind of spacer for the sprockets is needed.

#32 ·
I'd rather mess with the swingarm then mess with my frame! I'll be a lot more comfortable with you attacking the swingarm with the hacksaw... hehe.
My hacksaw days are over. Im moving on to better things. (air grinder) :p

The reason I used a hacksaw on my frame is because I was getting tired of my frame sitting at a shop. It was there for almost two months and i kept hearing, dont worry we will start on it soon. But they never did, so i took it home and did it myself. I smoothed out my hackjob with an air sander/grinder. Yeah its "half ass'd" not but my guess it would still be sitting at the shop......

#34 ·
Yeah it may have been the dumbest thing I have ever done... lets see a pic of it..

Not to mention my frame is almost useless with out the swingarm now. I guess you could always get spacers made for the stock swingarm to work.

#36 ·
By the way, what size tire is a VFR rear anyways? Width of rim?

Is your ride height changed much? You notice and performance differences? I notice your bike leans a bit far...
Most VFR rims are 5.5, I think there was a year when they had a 5.0

Stock tire on the older VFR's are 170's they are now stock with a 180.

My ride height is higher on the rear but lower one the front which makse a decent handling bike. But now my bike doesn lean really far when its ont he kick stand, When its in my garage I have a woodblock for under the stand.

#38 ·
lol, yeah mr. 5'2". Im 5'7" and i can barely touch on each side.

I am using the Stock SV shock with 2" raising dog bones. (I drilled holes in the stock one, but its about 2")

The reason for this is because the stock bones put the shock at too much of an angle and it the small shock hole on the VFR SSSA. I guess you could machine out the shock hole so the shock could be at a stock angle.

#40 ·
1/4-1/2 of an inch I would think. There are so many things i want to try but dont have the tools yet.

I would love to lighten up the swingarm and making shock hole bigger would help alot.

#42 ·
A guy on the TLzone (I think) needed to widen his frame at that point. I think he made a hand tool, some sort of fly cutter, to cut those points evenly (rather than using a hack saw). I will see if I can find it for you :)

Do you have any pictures of single sided swingarms? There's an engineer in town that I would trust to cut out the centre section where the shock goes, to enlarge it for a thou to take the shock and exhaust, but I'd need to show him some pictures to confirm he'd be willing to take it on... pretty serious shite if that ever let go!!

#44 ·
#49 ·
It would be alot more work to do it on a 1000 then the 650 because of the shock.

I would go with a 90-97 VFR swingarm with the triumph ecentric so you can use better wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.