Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

starter motor not working

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  TeeRiver 
#1 ·
after having to bypass the clutch relay (because i broke it on a triler delivering my bike), the starter motor doesnt run for some reason. i switch on the engine engage switch and hear nothing. lights and signals work fine. i think something might have broken somewhere on the left handgrip, signals work but no horn (wierd)???
what might be the problem?

#3 ·
Check the related switches.

Clutch kill switch: I'm assuming that by "bypassing" it you essentially have it constantly engaged. IF NOT, take your shift lever off, look inside the recess and look at the little white switch. Pull it out towards you and try to turn the engine over.
Make sure that it is connected, play with the plug below the horn button.
Kickstand kill switch: Flip the kick stand down, look behind it above the connected spring, and you'll see a sort of upside down mushroom. That's the kill switch. Play with it.

If you messed with the clutch kill switch then that is most likely the culprit.

#7 ·
Sitting for too long will kill the battery and can permanently damage it if it stay completely discharged for too long.

Since the bike had been trailered I was suspecting the bike might have sat for a while. Even though the OPs lights work, the battery might not have enough juice to turn his starter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.