Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

99 sv650 advice to get her started again

725 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  OyyO 
#1 ·
Hello to all! I’m going to thank you guys in advance for your input and help.
I have a 99 sv650, 10117 miles, that has been sitting in the garage for 3 years now. I did remove the gas, and battery was removed during this neglection period. I’m wanting to get it up and running again.
This is what I did today:
-Changed the oil
-new oil filter
-Yuasa Battery
So, happy to see the lights were working again with that fresh battery. However, I did put enough gas into the tank to where the gas light wasn’t on. Attempting to start her up. She cranks, but doesn’t turn. it feels like it wants to start but nothing happens.
What are some advices for my next step and/or thing I need to check to make sure it’s good to ride.
I did order some new spark plugs, will drain the current coolant and replace that
Thanks again for your input!

#4 ·
If the carbs were dry (likely), the fuel pump works only when it's getting vacuum pulses from the engine and it might take some bit of time for fuel to get to the carbs. Did you drain the bowls when you deactivated the bike? If not...the fuel that was in there has dried up and it can leave some really nasty gummy varnish like crap that WILL clog the pilot jets so it wouldn't be wasted time pulling them apart and giving a good bath in carb cleaner.

If you carefully squirt a little fuel into each carb fuel line to fill the bowl it 'should' fire up if the carbs aren't gummed up. Or...alternately you could just drip a few drops into each carb inlet which will be enough for it to fire up briefly and this increased vacuum (from running rather than just cranking) could be enough to work the pump faster and get it delivering fuel to the carbs. I'd do that rather than just continuing to crank as that's hard on the battery and starter. Good that you're getting it running again!:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.