Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Marduk's 07 Naked SV650

11K views 6 replies 1 participant last post by  Marduk187 
#1 ·
**COMMENT THREAD HERE**
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2443390#post2443390

This is late in coming, but I figured I should throw up an official thread as I complete most of my mods this winter.

Picked up this bike on December 31, 2010 to replace my previous SV that was totaled. This was a mint 07 naked and had 722 miles on it at the time.
Embarrassingly - and regrettably - I lowsided the bike on the way home from buying it (cold roads, cold tires, possibly some ice). Oh well, live and learn.

Here she is after finally getting her home:
(bike already had a TwoBro's Ti slipon and a OEM seat cowl)

The bike had a strange oil leak by the time I got it home - turned out it was just a plug not properly torqued down. New crush washer, and I was good to go.

Mods started pretty quickly, as I had to replace the clutch lever, shifter, blinker, and bent handlebars. Radiator came off to be repaired. Installed a Hamicad FE, reflective wheel stripes, and Motosliders while I was at it.

Went ahead and added a full set of Rizoma zero-11s gold Renthal ultra low handlebars, and Moto-Deluxe bar end mirrors at a later point. Also debaged it.

Painted the headlight ring black:

Eventually I added a few other bits during the summer of 2011 - Tech Spec tank pads, ZX10R shock, Fazzo levers, Rearset riser plates. I'm pretty bad at documenting work with pictures though. Instead, I did some touring and my first track day. Mods went on hold until the winter.

June 2011

August 2011

At the beginning of winter, the mod list was as follows:

06 ZX10R Rear Shock
Renthal Ultra low 7/8" Gold Handlebars
Moto-deluxe Bar-end Mirrors
Rizoma Zero-11 Turn Signals
Hamicad Fender Eliminator
Two Brothers Titanium Slip-on
Fazzo shorty levers
OEM seat cowl (not pictured)
R6 Throttle Tube
Steve's aTRE
SVRacing Parts Rearset Riser Plates
Motosliders Frame and Swing Arm Sliders
Tapeworks Reflective Wheel Stripes
Tech Spec C3 Tank Grips

2011/2012 Winter TO DO:

08/09 GSXR 600 Forks, Master Cylinder, Calipers, Fender, Lower Triple (painted black)
06/07 GSXR 750 Front Wheel and Rotors
06/07 Steering Damper
Hall Effect Sensor Speedo Mod
Custom Machined Upper Triple (GJScott - SVRider member)
Custom SS Spiegler Front Brake Lines - smoked, gold fittings, black bolts
Motovation Front Axle Sliders
OEM Chin Fairing
Powdercoat: radiator covers, headlight brackets, passenger pegs, handlebar clamps

This was the sorry looking box that showed up with my GSXR front end! Thankfully everything turned out to be in good shape, despite initial appearances.

Went ahead and painted the lower triple satin black:

All the parts ready to go:

Work in Progress. Off with the old: (blurry cell phone pic)

In with the New:

Still need to tie up a bunch of loose ends:
- SS lines have been installed, but the pistons in the calipers don't retract fully. Need to clean the pistons and possibly rebuild the calipers
- need to install speedo
- paint/install chin fairing
- PCed various pieces

Should be able to work through these in January and February. Already looking forward to spring!

See less See more
#3 ·
Took a couple hours this morning to make a little more progress.
Spent way too much time figuring out the new headlight bracket clamps. Used some stainless steel T-clamps from McMaster Carr.
They work perfectly after some Dremeling and rerouting cables.

All mounted up - made some new adapter plates for the front signals too.

And she's good enough to roll out of the garage.

Getting close to being done. Only little stuff left..
Updated to do:
- paint gauge ring
- install shortly brake lever
- rig up speedo
- install chin spoiler
- install steering damper
- Sargent seat (?)

#4 ·
Little update tonight. Still waiting on parts in the mail :(

I've continued to fail at getting the front brakes working properly, despite bleeding them multiple times. I've also cleaned them multiple times, as best I can, without a complete rebuild. No such luck - pistons still seem to stick and do not retract enough in the caliper to allow the wheel to spin freely. I went ahead and ordered a full set of new seals and EBC HH pads. It's another $200 I didn't plan to spend, but my mind will be at ease knowing I went through everything myself. If that doesn't work, looks like I'm rebuilding the MC as well.

In the meantime, I picked this up from another member here. Should be here by the end of the week.

And tomorrow, I'll be picking up my chin spoiler which was shipped off for paint last week. A quick photochop job gives an idea of the end result.

Next update should be my last one for awhile. Within the next two weeks, I should have the brakes rebuilt, new seat, and chin spoiler installed. This has been a fun project, but it's definitely taken a lot longer than planned. It's too nice out to not have a working bike!

#5 ·
Final update. Woot!
Spent some time in the garage this weekend to finish off winter work.
Rebuilt the calipers, added my Sargent seat, and installed the OEM chin spoiler.

So fresh and so clean:

Added a set of EBC HH pads:

Pretty much 95% done with modding this bike. Other than routine maintenance, this is likely how she'll stay after tightening up some loose ends.
(not the best photo location - nevertheless, had to have some "finished" pictures)

Finished Mods List:
08/09 GSXR 600 Forks, Master Cylinder, Calipers, Fender, Lower Triple
06/07 GSXR 750 Front Wheel and Rotors
Hall Effect Sensor Speedo Mod
06 ZX10R Rear Shock
Renthal Ultra low 7/8" Gold Handlebars
Custom Machined Upper Triple
SS Spiegler Front Brake Lines
Moto-deluxe Bar-end Mirrors
Rizoma Zero-11 Turn Signals
Hamicad Fender Eliminator
Two Brothers Titanium Slip-on
R6 Throttle Tube
Steve's aTRE
SVRacing Parts Rearset Riser Plates
Tapeworks Reflective Wheel Stripes
Tech Spec C3 Tank Grips
Motosliders Frame and Swing Arm Sliders
Motovation Front Axle Sliders
PC/Painted - headlight ring, headlight brackets, gauge ring (TDB), radiator covers, passenger pegs, handlebar clamps
OEM Chin Fairing

Thanks to all who contributed input/advice.
See you kids out there on the road :)

#7 ·
Haven't done much since the last photos were taken.
The gauge ring had been painted black...aaaand that's about it.
Mod less, ride more, right? ;)

All pics from NJMP on 9/16-9/17/12.

This build is done for all intents and purposes. May eventually upgrade parts if this becomes a track bike (Penske, GMD fork service, monoblocks, etc.). Otherwise, thanks for looking!

-Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.