Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Front wheel bearing replacement

7K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Rubber2burn 
#1 ·
Hey all... i have to replace the bearings in the front wheel on my '05 SVS and though i've been riding for 4 years i'm still learning the mechanical end. Anyone have any links/DIY advice for replacing the bearings in the front wheel?

I've gotten my bearings and seals but get conflicting info from a few different people on whether i have to get the bearings pressed or if i can manually pop em in. Also are there any special tools i need to pick up in order to replace them myself? If worse comes to worse i'll take it in and have it done by one of the shops out here but i'd like to learn/do it myself.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
No special tools needed, tap them out from the other side with a long screwdriver etc..

Back in, use a hard rubber mallet.

Also going in, tap on the outer side of the bearing, not the inner part of the bearing where the axle goes in.

#3 ·
On the install - put the new bearings in the freezer for a while before installing them. You could warm-up the wheel with a hairdryer also to make it even easier to slide them into place.

The big temp difference will help them slide in easily vs. having both at the same temp.

EDIT: Using a socket, as suggested below, is a good idea. If they don't drop-in really easily, using a threaded rod/nuts/washers (or socket) and "pressing" them in (as suggested by Rubber2burn) would be a better way than hammering.

Jay

#4 ·
You can drive out the old bearings with anything sturdy that's long and straight. Screwdriver, socket extension or metal rod all work fine.

DO NOT BANG ANYWHERE ON THE NEW BEARINGS OTHER THAN THE OUTER RACE.

It's best to put a little grease on the outer race and tap them in with a mallet and a socket the approximate size of the outer race. Putting them in the freezer helps but isn't *usually* necessary.

#5 ·
When I replace wheel bearings I never beat them in the when I have a piece of all thread some various size washers and some nuts that I use to press in the new bearings so that I can avoid any damage to the bearings. Also before I press them in I put them in the freezer as well to make them go in allot easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.