Certificate of Destruction. How do I title this? [Archive] - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

: Certificate of Destruction. How do I title this?

LeJeune123
07-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, Mods move this if needed.

I picked up an 05' SVS650 from a dealer in Alabama, it has a Certificate of Destruction from Florida. I cannot title this in Louisiana. I was thinking if the dealer could title it in Alabama and get a "salvage" or "rebuilt" title and then bring it back to Louisiana to title it. Do you think I could do this?

I was also thinking that I could just use the Bill Of Sale at the Louisiana DMV instead of bringing the CoD. Would just doing this work being that it is notarized with both of our signatures?

If there is any other way that you guys may think about or have tried please feel free to post them. I have already fixed what was wrong with it and I have the Affidavit of Reconstruction along with all the reciepts. I also had the State Police come do a visual inspection of the bike and I've got a paper for that too.

Thanks again for all your help.

Simon

The only thing I had to replace to get it road legal is 1 mirror.

Plinkerton
07-24-2008, 05:40 PM
I wish my fists had a Certificate of Destruction...

I think only Chuck Norris's do...

enrico vespa
07-24-2008, 05:43 PM
I always thought that a cert of dest was basically saying the bike was done. You couldn't title it or put it back on the road. You can just use it for parts. Seriously, go ask your local DMV and see what they tell you, because ultimately, they're the ones that will issue the title.

LeJeune123
07-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Well, after some searching in Florida DMV I found that a bike that has been totaled is given a CoD. Here in Louisiana we just issue a Salvage titile in which the only thing bad about it is the selling price is usually lower. You just need to have it inspected by the State Police to be sure it is road worthy. So I just figured it was Florida's way of saying that it was totaled but could be rebuilt.

enrico vespa
07-24-2008, 05:58 PM
The term Salvaged is used in all states. I hope not, but I think the Cert of Dest means you're about to part your bike out and sell it on ebay OR, just use it as a track bike.

Hold on, I'm going to ask my friend Google, he knows alot.

enrico vespa
07-24-2008, 05:59 PM
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_a_Certificate_of_De struction_and_a_Salvaged_Title

https://web01.dps.louisiana.gov/omv1.nsf/0/5e1a09c3d38a1c2f862570d6004b03d7?OpenDocument

Once a certificate of destruction has been issued and the record shows "CD" (certificate of destruction), no further transactions can be processed against the record. No vehicle, for which a certificate of destruction has been issued, shall be later issued a salvage or reconstructed title, a permit to dismantle or registered for use on the roads or highways of this state.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_can_you_title_a_certificate_of_destruction_veh icle

there's alot of conflicting answers. Call or go into your local DMV for the definitive answer.

orangegilly
07-24-2008, 06:02 PM
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_a_Certificate_of_De struction_and_a_Salvaged_Title

Wow! Your friend does know a lot!

enrico vespa
07-24-2008, 06:07 PM
He does, just the other day I asked which exhaust is the best for the SV.

LeJeune123
07-24-2008, 06:13 PM
there are a lot of conflicting answers. I went in to my DMV and they gave me a sheet that said a CoD from another state cannot be titled in Louisiana. Would it be possible to title the bike with just the bill of sale?

Gaolee
07-24-2008, 06:16 PM
Yes, depending on the circumstances, but they will check. When they check, they will find the CoD. I think it is a track bike.

enrico vespa
07-24-2008, 06:21 PM
LJ123, do you have friends or family in Florida? See if you can retitle it there to get a rebuilt title and then transfer it over to your state.

circle7_elad
07-24-2008, 06:24 PM

Sorry this doesn't have anything to do with the qustion...but that is funny.

However as my signature states Chuck doesn't stand a chance against Mr. Ninja of the 80's.

LeJeune123
07-24-2008, 06:36 PM
I'm going to try and call the Florida DMV tomorrow and see if I could do it there. I have family that should lend me their address.

Enrico, thanks for all the super fast help, eventhough I get a bad feeling I'll be selling my bike soon. Anyone need a track bike.lol It rides so good too, D@M%

broke not
07-24-2008, 06:37 PM
I picked up an 05' SVS650 from a dealer in Alabama, it has a Certificate of Destruction from FloridaYou're probably *sol* unless you have some connections somewhere. I've never heard of a certificate of destruction being reversed or somehow negotiable.

Having the COD alone would be enough to make folks at the local DMV office look at you funny. But residing in one state, then purchasing a bike from a dealer in another state, that has a COD from yet another state is....well.....enough to give the typical DMV employee an aneurysm.

:p

;D

SteveP
07-24-2008, 06:41 PM
I highly doubt yo will be able to title it in Florida. You can't even get a salvage title in Florida. You got ****** by the dealer bro.

LeJeune123
07-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Well I just decided to try and sell it. If it looks like I won't get my investment back I may try some crazy ways to get it titled but wiki answers is making me lose hope fast. Thanks again everyone.

nyc rugby
07-24-2008, 08:24 PM
If you have the time and space to do it, tear it apart and part it out on eBay, you'll get a lot more back for it.

LeJeune123
07-24-2008, 08:30 PM
I'd just rather sell whole. A lot less stress on me.

Richy_T
07-24-2008, 09:50 PM
I don't know whether you could buy just a new frame and start from scratch as a new bike. Or you might be able to find someone who has totally toasted their SV but didn't have any insurance. I'll leave you to join the dots on what to do if you can as it may not be strictly legal.

chris87114
07-24-2008, 11:38 PM
You said you bought this bike from a dealer, right? What did they tell you when you bought it? If they didn't tell you that you couldn't register the bike for the road, then I would make them take it back, if that would make you happy.

Seems to me that if there's a bike there that looks road worthy (not set up as a track/race bike), and they didn't explain what CoD meant to you as an owner that they should have some responsibility here (then again I'm an engineer and not a lawyer).

enrico vespa
07-25-2008, 02:14 AM
You said you bought this bike from a dealer, right? What did they tell you when you bought it? If they didn't tell you that you couldn't register the bike for the road, then I would make them take it back, if that would make you happy.

Seems to me that if there's a bike there that looks road worthy (not set up as a track/race bike), and they didn't explain what CoD meant to you as an owner that they should have some responsibility here (then again I'm an engineer and not a lawyer).

I agree, was this dealer a junk dealer or a dealership?

nyc rugby
07-25-2008, 12:52 PM
I agree, was this dealer a junk dealer or a dealership?

+1

Also, did the dealer explain that the bike was on a CoD and what that entailed?

Paulie
07-25-2008, 12:57 PM
I called the DMV here in town (I'm in Missouri) and they said you should get a Prior Salvage title for it and you're set. The lady told me that your insurance company (or the one that insured the bike when it was totaled) could give you a salvage title for it.

Zach
07-25-2008, 01:07 PM
I called the DMV here in town (I'm in Missouri) and they said you should get a Prior Salvage title for it and you're set. The lady told me that your insurance company (or the one that insured the bike when it was totaled) could give you a salvage title for it.

i think its too late for that.

CoD is like saying "this bike no longer has a title"

END OF STORY

At this point I think the only thing you can do is get it registered like you do a home-built vehicle. It's the same thing as when you build a chopper or kit car. If the thing has never had (or no longer has) a title, you go through an inspection process and eventually the state will give you a new title IF THE BIKE PASSES.

Now this only works in SOME states. I know Ohio is one of them but I don't know which other states allow this.

Hezz
07-25-2008, 01:53 PM
I'd be looking for a titled frame on eBay, swapping the shiny bits over and then selling a "Track only, no title possible" frame on the same.

rs4duke
07-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Hope you did not pay to much for a bike you probably will not be able to ride on the rode, just at the track.

eteach01
07-25-2008, 03:25 PM
I would think anyone with an IQ over 80 would have sorted all these answers out BEFORE buying it. Wasn't there someone in IL or someplace north that took his bike to Louisiana to get a proper inspection/title, then drove the thing back to IL to register it? Sounded to me like they didn't look too closely at it.

ridesideways
07-25-2008, 03:43 PM
just grind the serial# off your frame and stamp on new one! this is america the beautiful, land of the free!

super32
07-25-2008, 03:56 PM

yeah. I heard Chuck was sentenced last week for 4 or 6months (i forget). They charged him with concealing weapons. Clarence Gilyard testified in Chuck's defense saying "... it was cold outside. Chuck put his hands in his pockets to keep warm!"

PS.
that wasn't too lame... was it? :-X

jballa
07-25-2008, 04:01 PM
"Certificate of Destruction" sounds like a Death Metal Band

Here in Ol' Virginie we call it a salvage title. I like Certificate of Destruction though, so I'll call my legislature. ;D

VARIABLE9
07-25-2008, 04:01 PM
He does, just the other day I asked which exhaust is the best for the SV.
And?

LeJeune123
07-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Well, the CoD was shown to me before the sale but he and I believed it was just a salvage title capable of being rebuilt. The bike has been inspected by the State Police and given a clean bill of health in which the VIN and engine# match. So it is all legal. I called progressive and they said they had sold it as junk so there is no way to get a salvage title for it here. Oh well

I'll go and try and find a frame and title it using that. If not I'll get rid of it as a track bike after a track day or two.

chris87114
07-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Again, I'd be spending some time at the dealer making him help you sort this out or having them take it back, unless you want to go through the pain of trying to buy another frame & swapping parts, or dealing with selling it. Have you contacted the dealer recently with your problem and tried to get them help out? If they refuse and tell you that it's your problem now, I'd find a local news crew who needs a story for a slow news night about sketchy businesses who are selling road motorcycles that can't legally be registered.

If you really can't get it registered and legal for the road, I think a person who's in the business of selling motorcycles (ie. the dealer / dealership) should bare much of the responsibillity here.

What a pain in the arse. For most people (who don't have to have one for commuting), motorcycles are supposed to be fun... Sorry to hear about your problems...

greeek32
07-25-2008, 05:55 PM
screw all this noise, you'll be dead before the dmv gives in, lets be honest. now, on to having some fun with that bike.... some choices.

A. chop it down and ebay it away (best money)

B. sell it as a "track onry" bike (lame)

C. take up track riding (some big fun there)

D. Do what the title says, Certificate of Destruction. Throw dirt tires on it, get some good off-road armor, and ride that sucker like the "woods bike" you know it can be. Jump it, wheelie it, make smily-face burnouts in the lawn with it. see how deep you can sink it in mud before you have to tow it out with a truck. ghost ride it off some really big jumps. sv's are known for their reliability, test that. (obviously, the most fun. by a landslide)

**if you decide to go with "D" and need some more ideas, pm me. i grew up redneck and had to clean up as i got older.**

edit: if you go with "D" it is your responsability as an american to video tape everything and youtube it.

nyc rugby
07-25-2008, 06:01 PM
Well, the CoD was shown to me before the sale but I believed it was just a salvage title capable of being rebuilt.

Edited to show the truth. Don't kid yourself that a dealer didn't know what he was pawning off on you. Sorry to say it, but he ****ed you.

Zach
07-25-2008, 06:08 PM
"Certificate of Destruction" sounds like a Death Metal Band

Here in Ol' Virginie we call it a salvage title. I like Certificate of Destruction though, so I'll call my legislature. ;D

they're two different things...

nyc rugby
07-25-2008, 06:08 PM
If you really can't get it registered and legal for the road, I think a person who's in the business of selling motorcycles (ie. the dealer / dealership) should bare much of the responsibillity here.

The dealer showed him that it had a CoD issued. The guy's a douchebag and should have explained it but we all need to bear some personal responsibility in our lives. Caveat Emptor.

Marduk187
07-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Just read through the thread...that sucks, man.

I've never had to deal with something like this, but I thought Lemon Laws were put in place to protect vulnerable consumers against sh1t like this.

Would/could the OP have some leverage for a lemon law claim? I know they're different in each state, but it might be worth looking into.

buzzmanrm
07-25-2008, 06:30 PM
I USED TO BE IN THIS BUSINESS- try the following.

Call the kentucky DMV (they used to not have any titles except clean) don't tell them you don't live there just tell them you have a COD from FL and want to title it to KT. If this is still the case then "sell" the bike to a friend in Kentucky, they sell it back to you, or a family member and then title clean as a whistle.

From experience
This salvage company used to come to our auctions in Michigan and buy everything remotely repairable and then take them back to KT and fix them and sell them on EBAY.

Totally legal and a major loop hole. The other trick is like others have said buy a frame, all you need is the a frame and a "Clean Title" if it isn't clean your *icked because the DMV will run the VIN for a salvage frame, and find the other "questionable parts" which leads to a hundred trips back and forth and photo documents of the rebuild and a stack of paperwork a mile high.

Or just steal a plate and ride the thing.

BTW Jballa VA has a COD you just never see it because they legally can only be sold to private dealers. Salvage is a pain especially if its over 70% destroyed

In the end it is all a bunch of paperwork and a waste of time, for politicians.

LeJeune123
07-25-2008, 09:31 PM
You guys are awesome!!!
I've never had so much response to a thread so fast!!

Greeek32: Please do NOT temp me!! I've already ridden it to work twice this week with my old 250 plate. 52 miles since I got it and counting.

Buzzmanrm: Thank you very much for the idea. Does anyone from KT want to help me out? Can you explain the whole deal a little better. I'm pretty sure I get it but just to be sure.

Zach
07-25-2008, 10:48 PM
freakin A, It's KY!

buzzmanrm
07-25-2008, 11:38 PM
Thanks Backroad. i knew that was wrong but was to lazy to figure it out before going out tonight.

LJ heres the deal, you need to find out if KY still only titles vehicles clean. Basically anything could be titled in KY because they didn't / don't offer anything but clean titles.

SO you need to have a person in KY "buy" the bike and when they are issued the new title its clean. Then you are to buy the bike back and you have a clean title.

Its a bunch of work and a PITA but its worth it in your case. You need to find out if they recognize salvage titles and what its going to cost. But in the end you may end up with at least a salvage if they still don't rec. COD.

If all else fails, frame it shouldn't take more then 10-20 hours for a couple of decent techs to figure out. Good luck and let us know.

zenharasaki
08-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Did you ever find anything else about this?