has anyone tried a drop-in LED H4 headlight bulb swap on their S???? [Archive] - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

: has anyone tried a drop-in LED H4 headlight bulb swap on their S????

wallymann
06-30-2011, 01:35 PM
LED emitters kick ass, low power requirement, low heat generation, and lots of light.

wondering how well one of these drop-in H4 replacement LEDs might work on the SV-S reflector and whether it's a hi/low beam or all-or-nothing.

http://www.lgglobal.net/ebay/tpsch/lgbz591gl.jpg

D'Ecosse
06-30-2011, 04:43 PM
LED emitters kick ass, low power requirement, low heat generation, and lots of light.

Right on the first three, way off on the last - as least as far as a headlight replacement goes

ricracer16
06-30-2011, 04:46 PM
interesting

golden chicken
06-30-2011, 04:57 PM
With LEDs, I thought it was lots of light and lots of heat or not so much heat and not so much light...

I know my 180 lumen LED light gets plenty warm.

irisharse3
06-30-2011, 06:52 PM
Those LED bulbs won't throw light very far at all I figure. A standard H4 bulb puts out 1100-1200 lumens. Those put out about 220-250 lumens. You do the math.

wallymann
07-01-2011, 09:13 AM
the point about these SMD emitters not being good is probably spot on -- their output isnt particularly directional. also, these are only 1 power output, all or nothing. even so, i may get 1 of these cheapie H4 LEDs just to see how good/bad they really are, side-by-side with the OEM halogen.

separately, i'm debating a more DIY sort of setup with an array of 3-4 CREE LED emitters with projector-style lenses in each reflector. theyre similar to a xenon projector setup, VERY DIRECTIONAL, but without the complex electrics for start-up.

so that would be a total of 6-8 CREE emitters that could be individually focused and aimed to totally customize the light footprint. if each side has 4, then 2 could be lo-beams and 2 hi-beams. or you could have 2 lo-beams of good power to spread out the light, then +1 higher-power hi-beam emitter for more throw down the road.

the nice thing about the CREE/projector setup is that the light throw is FANTASTIC. they do put out some heat, but 99% of the CREE emitters have built-in heat-sinks to take care of that.

still in brainstorm mode, so this is all a bunch of ideas floating around now -- would need to figure out the appropriate emitter wattages, mounting setup, etc.

D'Ecosse
07-01-2011, 12:56 PM
I think when LEDs can match incandescents for light output in an affordable package, you will see them widely adopted. Think they are still long way to go to replacing headlights.

Kz900Jim
07-01-2011, 02:57 PM
I found this some time ago.. they claim a color temp around 5k..
http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=64057&langId=-1

But they are about 250$ a copy..

irisharse3
07-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Even those new Harley LED projectors aren't that great, especially at $400. I just saw some the other night and I put out more light with one LR3 projector on an SV versus the HD LEDs.

volke44
07-03-2011, 05:02 AM
I looked into buying those a while back since they're only $20 for 2 from china, but the reviews are pretty negative about light output. They claim 460 lumens, and a regular 60w high beam is typically about 1500 lumens. However, you would gain .074 horsepower from not having to power the bulb, so really the choice is up to you: 66% more light, or .074 horsepower?

This is the site I used for my information, I've bought a lot from them and they're great if you don't mind waiting for shipment from China.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/h4-5w-102-smd-led-6500k-460-lumen-white-fog-lights-for-car-12v-pair-51110

sstainba
07-05-2011, 11:40 AM
FWIW, I put something very, very similar (although it was a "high-power" cree lamp) in my old car's fog lights... the color was nice, but the output sucked. i ended up putting the halogens back in.

SgtRauksauff
07-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Like has been mentioned, I don't think (affordable) LED technology is remotely close to making a useful, functional (safe) headlamp yet. Auxiliary lighting (check aircraft spruce led landing lights) for airplanes and rally cars (Rigid Industries) is getting there, but it's still in packages that are really too big for installation on a bike.

In my cars, at least, I've found that proper wiring (relay setup) with good lamps (glass lenses, uncoated bulbs designed for the reflector in the housing) put out just as good of a light output as friends who've retro-fitted HID setups. Although, 4100K-5000K HID kits are becoming available, which is a good thing.

--sarge