Brake cleaner - chlorinated vs. non-chlorinated [Archive] - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

: Brake cleaner - chlorinated vs. non-chlorinated

Phenom
05-10-2011, 09:53 AM
I need to clean my rotors as I'm switching brake pads....besides flammability and the presence of chlorine, does anyone know the difference between the brake cleaners? Will one damage my rotors? Is one better?

bighammer
05-10-2011, 10:08 AM
My understanding is the chlorinated are non-flammable but harsher to the environment. The non-chlorinated are extremely flammable, but better environmentally.

Phenom
05-10-2011, 10:16 AM
My understanding is the chlorinated are non-flammable but harsher to the environment. The non-chlorinated are extremely flammable, but better environmentally.

No offense, but all you did was re-word my original post. You said the same thing I already said.

I'm not concerned about the environment (with this issue anyway). Will one damage my rotors at all? Is one a better cleaner?

bighammer
05-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Neither one will damage the rotors. If you're a treehugger, go non-chlorinated. If you smoke, go chlorinated. (so you don't http://www.azreptiles.com/forums/images/smilies/blowup.gif)

Phenom
05-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Neither one will damage the rotors. If you're a treehugger, go non-chlorinated. If you smoke, go chlorinated. (so you don't http://www.azreptiles.com/forums/images/smilies/blowup.gif)

Word. Thank you;D

Jay V
05-10-2011, 10:40 AM
I've tried the non-chlorinated, and it sucked.

Regular CRC "Brakleen" (red/white can) for me.

Jay

SV650R
05-10-2011, 11:11 AM
That brake cleaner will definitely ruin all your brake components...

;D Don't use any brake cleaner... Just bathe your parts in used motor oil... ;D

Luis

asp87
05-10-2011, 01:32 PM
Chlorinated brake cleaner is unsafe for weld prep. When it gets hot it emits phosphene gas and can kill you. So if you ever weld, get non-chlorinated stuff. If you want clean brakes, get whatever's cheap.

Google agrees (http://www.google.com/search?q=brake+cleaner+welding&rls=com.microsoft:*&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1)

Jay V
05-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Chlorinated brake cleaner is unsafe for weld prep. When it gets hot it emits phosphene gas and can kill you. So if you ever weld, get non-chlorinated stuff. If you want clean brakes, get whatever's cheap.

Google agrees (http://www.google.com/search?q=brake+cleaner+welding&rls=com.microsoft:*&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1)

Yikes! That's serious s!#t! Thanks for the heads-up.

Here's a link to a direct account of what it can do to you - http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

Jay

SoylentGreenIP
05-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Why clean them at all, unless you have got some oil/grease/brake fluid on them. Just use a clean pair of rubber gloves so the oil from your skin does not get on them.

Phenom
05-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Why clean them at all, unless you have got some oil/grease/brake fluid on them. Just use a clean pair of rubber gloves so the oil from your skin does not get on them.

It's VERY imnportant to clean your rotors when changing your pads so they bed correctly. Ask any racer. You need to remove any residue from the old pads. On top of brake cleaner you should scotch brite them too.

SV650R
05-10-2011, 05:16 PM
It's VERY imnportant to clean your rotors when changing your pads so they bed correctly. Ask any racer. You need to remove any residue from the old pads. On top of brake cleaner you should scotch brite them too.

Right... However, brake cleaner will NOT remove old pad particles off the rotors... You can lightly sand them down or better yet, sand blast them...

Brake cleaner will only remove lose brake dust, oil, grease, and brake fluid...

Luis

thedogs
05-10-2011, 06:36 PM
The stuff that kills the environment does the job best.

Phenom
05-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Right... However, brake cleaner will NOT remove old pad particles off the rotors... You can lightly sand them down or better yet, sand blast them...

Brake cleaner will only remove lose brake dust, oil, grease, and brake fluid...

Luis

Ok..but you asked why clean them at all. So I told you - changing the pads is why. And I also said use scotch brite.

mattjm
05-11-2011, 04:16 PM
I've always bought the non-chlorinated stuff and it works fine for my purposes (cleaning brake components as well as other parts). Health-wise, it's not great for you, but better than the chlorinated stuff.

rcannon409
05-11-2011, 08:23 PM
We have sandblasted the rotors on our dirt bikes, between pad changes, for years. Rotor life is improved like you cannot believe. No idea how much it costs to have a pro do this, but if its under 20.00 per disc, do it. You will get your money back.

Soap, spray cleaner, etc almost does more harm than good. Nothing as worthless. a good set of pads damaged by cleaners. Well, except a 20.00 gift certificate to the local shop who has nothing priced anywhere close to 20.00

SV650R
05-12-2011, 12:38 AM
1 + on sand blasting...

Luis